Team Chevelle banner

What!!

816 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Dcairns560 
#1 ·
I tried to wire up my gauges today, and evrything went smooth until it came time to wire the lights. I did like u guys said and used a dash light that didn't have a bulb in it. i connected the 3 lights + sides to that, then grounded them all to the dash. At first they did not work, then, the next time i tried, NONE OF MY DASH LIGHTS WORKS!! I don't know what the he** i did but i am confused beyond belief. Any Help out there? I don't see any busted fuses. BTW Which fuse do the dash lights rely on(All the letters on my fuse block are rubbed off)68 malibu, 327 auto,ps,ps

See less See more
#2 ·
[Help out there? I don't see any busted fuses. BTW Which fuse do the dash lights rely on?
It's that litte bitty one on the bottom left in the box. You'll have to take it out to see whether it's blown. Replace it with a SFE 4 fuse. The extra lights may have overloaded the fuse or you may have a short. If you have a short the new fuse will blow immediatelly.

BL

#4 ·
what else is on that fuse? i ask because evrything else works on the car: Turn signals, tail lamps, brake lights, headlights, tach (but no light), parking lights. Is that fuse soley for dash lights?

#6 ·
tomorrow i will find out if i do. my test light died on me the other day (pretty cheap one) and i am borrowing a friends. Hopefully it is just a matter of swapping fuses. After tomorrow, i'll try to post the results.

#7 ·
A little recommendation to everyone who relies on a "test light". If you plan on keeping your Chevelle, you WILL do electrical work on it. Go out and buy a cheap VOM from either Radio Shack or Sears. I keep a cheap VOM from Sears in my glove compartment in case I have a problem on the road. It will pay for itself in very short order! ;)

#8 ·
Problem solved!! Wasn't getting power to both sides of fuse...went to Napa, got some SFE 4 fuses, popped it in, and everything is working. Thanks for all the help guys
I'll post some pics when i get everything done.

#9 ·
FYI the power for the dash light fuse comes from the tailight fuse. So the dash lights are double fused. If the tailight fuse blows the dash lights will also go out. I think GM did this so you would know if the power to the tail lights went out.

#10 ·
Originally posted by MalibuJerry350:
A little recommendation to everyone who relies on a "test light". If you plan on keeping your Chevelle, you WILL do electrical work on it. Go out and buy a cheap VOM from either Radio Shack or Sears. I keep a cheap VOM from Sears in my glove compartment in case I have a problem on the road. It will pay for itself in very short order! ;)
What is a VOM?

#11 ·
Volt Ohm Meter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.