1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
622 Posts
They came out fullsized in '59 and '60, then discontinued till they were reintroduced as midsize in '64. They were discontinued again "recently" I believe.

------------------

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was at the Spring Carisle Fleemarket in PA a few years ago and thought I saw an El Camino looking 55. I believe it was called Cameo or Somthing like that. This might have been the start or it was just a type of pick up truck. Rick....

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
The Cameo was a 1/2 ton pickup with a Fiberglass bed and different trim pieces. Not a passenger car chassis like the '59 and '60 El Camino (the first ones) or the Chevelle based ones starting in '64. The Cameo has a following among the truck guys.

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
Guess what guys, it is quite possible that Rick did in fact see a '55 El Camino. Several years ago there was a feature in one of the magazines such as Hot Rod or Super Chevy about a FULLY LOADED '55 elky that a guy built using a '55 Nomad. It was so tastefully done that it looked as if it had been built by Chev! That may have been what Rick saw. And, also, a few years ago some guy built a '66 Nova convertible using the conv components from a '63 Nova. It was so well done that it was on the cover, I think.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DZAUTO (edited 02-10-99).]

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yep, first year was 59 last year was 87. It was "discontinued" a few times in between.--Amanda

·
Registered
36 Posts
They were built from 59-60 then from 64-87 some 87s were left over and called 88s.The GM toy team built an El Camino out of the Capriece a few years ago. Even the newest ones are over 10 years old.

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
Chev had that Caprice El Camino on a tilted turntable at the state fair in Okla City a few years ago. It was great! AND it had real, honest to goodness dual exhaust! The hood was closed all the time so I can't say what it had for power, although it did have a puke slushbox for a tranny.

------------------

·
Premium Member
18,160 Posts
I would also like to add that Chevy had serious plans on putting that Caprice style Elky into production along with the Impala SS. At least thats what a few magazines claimed. It was going to be a SS model that looked very similar to the Impala SS. But you guys probably already knew that. Woulda been cool though...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.