Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put the nuts into Purple Power cleaner for a few days, they still had rust. I started to wire wheel them. Then I tried some phosphoric acid for some and motor oil for the others.

I have: wire wheel grinder, Ph acid, purple power, oil, sand blaster, etc...

I was thinking of putting them in a holder and sand blast them, then dip in ph acid but would that be good or do I need something else on top of that?

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
Reactions: davewho1

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A nice way to clean small items like this is using a vibratory polisher or tumbler. I picked one up on CL for $25.00 with ceramic and steel media. Works fantastic. A good soak in a cleaner is good to loosen debris, dry and then into the tumbler. I've done over a hundred pounds of small fastners from engine lift brackets to head bolts, small items.
Amazon.com: Welljoin Medium Size Vibratory Media Tumbler Jewelry Polisher Finisher Cleaner: Kitchen & Dining
So your solution is for me to send my stuff to you and have you polish them :D

Yes, I want one. However, I've put a stop to all new tools that I don't actually have to have. I could setup a nice triple wide shop with the tools I have now and I don't use most of them very often.

Given that price, I'm surprised someone doesn't offer a service.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so these all look good, I've always wanted to make that electrolysis system. In fact, that kinda helps answer the next question. How to actually coat these things for the next owner. I'm guessing these things don't actually coat anything, but isn't this the same process they use for zinc coating?

Maybe it's time for me to make one.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could see making a 'rake' type thing out of a few lengths of welding rod and make a bunch of little loops for the bolts to rest into.

Either that or a bunch of clips connected to a common rod. Looks like I've got all the stuff I need except the soda and zinc plate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts