Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what you would have to do in order to get the rights for making a part?

It seems to me that there are a number of parts which would be simple to make, sell well, and yet are still not on the market.

So, if some motivated Chevelle owner decided to take matters into their own hands, how would they go about doing it (legally)

Any thoughts?

Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6873/Chevelle/68_Chevelle_Info.html
Email: [email protected]
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
If something is not in production, the only thing would be a patent violation, depending on the date it was granted and if it was even patented. Be very careful about using the bowtie emblem though. I've heard horror stories on that deal. GM even gets upset with the decals on windows, etc. Unless they were licensed by them. Best bet would be the advice of a good patent/copyright attorney.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
It depends on the type of the part. If it covered by a patent or a trademark, you will need to reach an agreement with the holder of the legal rights. Most mechanical parts are not affected by this. That is why you can buy aftermarket parts for most applications. At one time a lot of body repair parts were coming from Asia and the car makers could do not much about it. I think that the GM resto parts are made with the cooperation of GM so that the materials and technical specifications match the original design pretty closely, but it is not likely affected by legal considerations.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.