Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have pictured below the Gauge setup for a 1966 Chevelle I purchased from the Parts Place , my question is the temp gauge after installing always reads hotter then the actual mechanical temp gauge I also have installed. I am looking to install a resister to the temp gauge from the nail head sensor to lower / adjust it to the proper reading as my mechanical gauge reads 180
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Car Vehicle
Car Steering part Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel
Odometer Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Steering part
Odometer Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Steering part

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
After tearing down a new, perfectly running 455 Pontiac because of two bad oil pressure gauges in a row. I am through with gauges in the dash. I have three lights, Gen, oil and Water temp. Garlets said it best, I don't like gauges, all I want is a tach.
Under the hood I have block mounted oil pressure and water temperature gauges.
Once I got the governor in my th-400 to shift into second at 5600 and hi range at 5800, I dont need a tach anymore. I am looking for a early 60s 327 iron points distributor with the outlet for the tach cable. It will be a trigger for a Vertex Z-6 Capacitive Discharge ignition.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Hi I have pictured below the Gauge setup for a 1966 Chevelle I purchased from the Parts Place , my question is the temp gauge after installing always reads hotter then the actual mechanical temp gauge I also have installed. I am looking to install a resister to the temp gauge from the nail head sensor to lower / adjust it to the proper reading as my mechanical gauge reads 180 View attachment 742662 View attachment 742659 View attachment 742658 View attachment 742658
I had the same problem and installed a resistor. It was reading too hot, now it's good.

Was looking, can't find it. I did use info from googling temp sensor ohms, something like that. Once you figure out the ohms required, you can size a resistor.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
Where is the Mechanical Temp Gauge getting it's Reading from ?
if from the Intake ?? then it is reading the correct Temp of the Coolant IMHO
Where is the Electrical Gauge getting it's Reading from ??
if from the Block beside the Exhaust Ports ??
then the reading will be 20* Higher since it is picking up Heat from the Exhaust Ports

1 - 4 of 4 Posts