Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you didnt install the counter weights and center plate correctly on an HEI?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I don't know and I doubt anyone will be able to answer this unless they did that. If they did do that they probably won't want to admit to it so they won't post the answer. So, if you did do this how about telling us what happened

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I would say that you would either get no advance, too little advance, too much advance, advance too early, or too late. Take your pick, all depends on how it was installed wrong! Mike

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well since you asked Redrum, It appears the HEI I got off of my friends truck was wrong.Instead of the weights "lobes" being against the center plate indentions, they were on the other side.Looking at the remains-it appears that the oppposite end of the weight {skinny side} was hammering on the indented side of the center plate.Both pcs have been flattened by force or heat?I dont know.I rode in this truck several times and thought that it should have been faster than it was -and also it seemed like it didnt want to go over 85-90mph.I just thought it was rear end gear or that it was just a modified 305 in a 1970 Chevy LWB Truck.Now Im not so sure......Since I dont know jack about engines and this kind of stuff,I was trying to find out if I should Use this HEI-w/new advance kit of course,or if this would have done some damage to it that I dont know of. SO feel free to give some advice, cause I can use all I can get!!!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Hehehehehe........ now THAT's funny! I would suspect that if you replaced the beat to crud parts it should work fine.

It might be cheaper to go to a wrecking yard for one than to rebuild the mangled one and you won't have to worry about hidden damage.

Dang that's funny.....

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, What's funny is that I ended up buying the whole truck and engine for $850.00!!!!

I disasembled the whole distributor and the main pcs seem O.K. The module was removed and the wire harness was in it for the MSD 6Al that also came w/it. That was my other concern, was if this was still O.K.Guess Ill find out this week.

Redrum, That is pretty funny now that I think about it.I have to laugh at my own stupidity for thinking that in the time that SB engines can make 400hp and up that I would just think it was gears or cu.in. size of the motor!!!!! Oh well, live and learn- I guess...

Motto of this story: Size doesnt matter, its how you use the parts!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts