Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new Pioneer 168 tooth 454 flexplate and a rebuilt stock full size starter,using stock,original GM starter bolts.
Turn the key and heard wicked grinding noise and I turned it off immediately. Small,small chip on one flexplate tooth and starter gear was still in the "out position". Guessing the bendix stuck? Going to return the starter as defective and get another one today. Can't say I ever experienced something like this before. No shims either. I am guessing that would make it worse?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Try it on the floor first to see if bendix returns under no pressure. If it does you need a shim or 2. Do you have the front support to keep it straight?
Are you sure they gave you the correct tooth count on each?

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Check the flexplate diameter. I did have one that I got years ago at the track and it hit the inside of the ultra bell where the one I took out did not.

·
Premium Member
28,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the flexplate diameter. I did have one that I got years ago at the track and it hit the inside of the ultra bell where the one I took out did not.
all stock,matches with another one that I have

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
all stock,matches with another one that I have
Just saying there was a 168 tooth one in the car, put a NEW 168 tooth one from the track speed shop and it rubbed on the inside of the bellhousing. I would not rule out a defect in manufacturing. maybe tooth pitch, ring gear thickness, anything.

·
Premium Member
28,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just saying there was a 168 tooth one in the car, put a NEW 168 tooth one from the track speed shop and it rubbed on the inside of the bellhousing. I would not rule out a defect in manufacturing. maybe tooth pitch, ring gear thickness, anything.
This the 2nd flexplate and starter. First ones got chewed up,but not bad.

Never,ever had this happen before.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Oh second set, that's different. Let me tink about this one.

·
Super Moderator
12,637 Posts

·
Registered
14,548 Posts
did you do the 1/8 inch drill bit check after installation? jim

·
Premium Member
28,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
did you do the 1/8 inch drill bit check after installation? jim
No I did not,starter is already out. I will check the next one.

In my 35 years of doing this as a hobby,I have never checked clearance,never used any shims and never had any problems.Just bolted them in and go.
Until now :sad:

·
Registered
14,548 Posts
I too never had issues with old gm starters. but the newer rebuilt started looks have new cast noses and some require a stack of shims. jim

·
Premium Member
28,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I too never had issues with old gm starters. but the newer rebuilt started looks have new cast noses and some require a stack of shims. jim
I used a known good stock high torque GM starter that I ran for years on my 454 and it got hammered pretty bad with the first flexplate.
Hoping to figure this out..

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
There is no cracks in the block mount allowing the starter to move is there??

·
Super Moderator
12,637 Posts
I think you are just going to have to check the next one before you apply power to it. There has to be something causing it. There are tolerances in everything manufactured and something must be right at the ragged edge. The flywheel might be just on the big side, the starters might be getting new noses that are not made that great, etc etc etc.

Here is a good procedure for checking it:

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/images/3/33/Delco_remy_starter_shim_bulletin_tbstr01-2.pdf

I use a lot of Pioneer flexplates and they are usually made correctly but you never know. I bet half the cars I have worked on had shims on the starter so its not unusual.

Easier to check it first rather than screw up another new one.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,037 Posts
FWIW;

Several years ago my son-in law was having that same problem on a small block Chevy Blazer and after chewing up two flexplates a retired elderly mechanic told me to do the opposite of using shims.
He said to file off a little from the part of the starter that goes against the housing but he didn't say how much.
I did it once and it still didn't sound right so I did more and that did the trick.

I know it sounds crazy but believe it or not, it never had a problem after that and the Blazer was driven many miles later.

·
Premium Member
28,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Picked up another rebuilt starter last night from O'Reiley's.
Removed the solenoid to engage the starter gear by hand. Added a few shims to get the supplied "gauge" (allen wrench) so it fit perfectly between the ring gear and starter gear in the supplied picture (and from the link posted earlier in this thread) and the SAME RESULT :( also found the starter was gear still engaged when I put it back up in the air to inspect. Not sure what to do next. Very frustrating.
Here is a picture of the project,1967 C10 Fresh built 454

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts