Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I'm going to be putting a 700r-4 in my car.
The drivetrain is stock w/3:31 gears out back.
The guy that is building the 700 for me suggested a stall in the 2000-2200 range. Does sound like a pretty good fit for my application?

Brian

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
i don't think it would be. the trans would build up heat if the lockup was not used. at highway speeds (60) the rpms would be lower than the stall of the converter. tom

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
What size tires? I assume you're going to run lock up. What are the engine specs?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The engine is totally stock 396-350hp with the stock quadrajet carb. Yes I'm going to run a lock up converter.
The tires are 25" tall with the stock 3:31 gears.
Sorry I forgot to include that info in the previous post. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Should be good.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
i don't think it would be. the trans would build up heat if the lockup was not used. at highway speeds (60) the rpms would be lower than the stall of the converter. tom
The converter isn't aware of what the stall speed is, it just couples the engine to the tranny. If this converter was used behind a 1 liter motor, it would make the same amount of heat as it would behind a 7 liter motor.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you saying if the stall is higher than the rpm that the converter locks up at, then the converter won't lock up at all?

My tranny guy said he plans to wire the lockup through the brake switch and the vacuum. He said that it should work pretty good. The only thing I would notice , is when it goes into overdrive, it would be a "firm" shift. The reason for this is because my engine is stock which equals more vacuum causing the firmer shift to OD. He told me if I had a bigger cam, it wouldn't be as noticeable, because I would have less vacuum. Does this make sense?
I know some guys wire the lock-up with a toggle switch, but my wife might drive it..........sometime ;) and I want to lock-up to be automatic.

Great info guys, your awesome! :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts