Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just need to know what wire connects to the horn relay next to the wire that goes to the relay from the harness.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
What year? Early ones don't have the key minder wire. Also what do you mean by "next to" There is more that one wire that gets connected to the BAT terminal. The harness, battery, and alternator all tie together on something like a 69. On that year the next terminal over, that's not part of the common BAT terminal should be the horn button wire. If you tie that to the common BAT terminal smoke occurs.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as i can tell there is a hot wire from the + battery terminal, a red and black wire that come from the engine harness, and a red wire from the forward lamp harness that all connect together at the horn relay. Is that correct? I hooked up a new wiring harness from m&h to my 72 and nothing worked until i connected all of those things to my horn relay.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The 72 uses a horn relay mounted on the firewall near the brake booster. There is a threaded stud on it that is used as a junction point for the 12 volts. The large black wire out of the bulkhead connector, red wire from the solenoid, red wires from the regulator and alternator all tie here. All these wires should have a round eyelet lug on them. If you have A/C there is a wire that also ties there. Also the under hood light wire will tie there.
The wires for the horns, horn button, and key minder are on connectors that plug into the horn relay. They only go in one way.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks a lot for all of the help, I have finished connecting everything to the horn relay. I started my car this morning and realized that i still have my generator light on so that's my next project.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts