Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What wire size should I use to supply the HEI distributor? 14 guage? 16 guage?

How much amperage does the HEI pull?

Currently, the previous owner ran a wire from the fuse box to the distributor, and it appears to be 12 guage or maybe 10 guage (pretty large).

I plan on removing the factory resister wire from the "Engine Harness" (already cut off) at the fuse box, and soldering on the appropriate size non-resisted wire to the distributor.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
12 gage is as small as you want to go. If you are going to run the wire from the bulkhead connector, you need to remove the pin. Don't solder a new wire on a piece of the old resistor wire. It won't solder well and cause problems.

·
Premium Member
17,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John,

Yeah, I plan on removing that metal terminal from the plastic harness connector, using a soldering iron to melt the existing solder off of the little terminal (wish I could buy some new, but I do have plenty of spares), remove the resistor wire and then resoldering the new wire directly to the terminal (I did this on my Chevelle), but wasn't sure if I used the correct wire size (although I have not had any problems).

Thanks, I will be sure to use 12-guage wire...

I need to replace the bulkhead connector/back of fuse box (all 4 prongs are broken off!), so I have been practicing removing the terminals without breaking them...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I tried something different as an alternative to pulling the harness apart and replacing the resistor wire. Get a Bosch or similar 30a relay. Use the IGN wire that ran to the coil to switch the relay on/off. Run a 10ga wire from a good 12v source (battery or alt stud) to the power input terminal on the relay. Run another 10ga wire from the relay power output terminal to your module. You will have full battery voltage at your coil/module and take another load off the ignition switch and dash wiring harness. These relays with plugs can be bought from MAD enterprises.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts