Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finely all I need to put it together is a set of the correct cylinder head bolts and a single dowel pin, I found out what "raised exhaust port" means. It means that with a standard set of head bolts that 8 of them are not going to be long enough to even touch the block.
Then I think I sucked up one of the dowel pins with the shop vac a few weeks ago, so its gone. I had to save up for longer than expected to be able to buy the heads, because they are only $1,100 each.
I'm using:
Edelbrock 800cfm on top of an oval port edelbrock air gap intake manifold.
12363390 bowtie heads, oval port, 110cc chamber, 295cc runner, big 2.25/1.88 valves.
KB +0.030 pistons with -17cc dome.
(those heads + them pistons = about 11:1 compression)
A 4.25 stroker crank and 6.385'' rods.
Comp camps 272 hydraulic roller conversion and roller rockers.
Exhaust will be 2nd gen short Camaro headers with 1.75 primary and 3 inch collector, going to a dual 2.5 inch exhaust. I went with the 1.75 because I hear they install easier and give you more room to work with on the drivers side.

The closest engine I could find to this was an old hot rod magazine article they used rectangle port aluminum bowtie heads on a 454 making 9:1 compression with a 272 flat tappet cam, long tube headers, tall dual plane intake manifold and holley carb. It made something like 450hp and 550 torque.

I'm thinking compared to the hot rod engine but with more cubes, higher compression, more efficient roller cam, roughly the same 272 cam but lacking long tube headers is 500hp and 600 torque an unreasonable assumption?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I have been tuning edelbrock 650 carbs with my wide band meter oxygen meter and vacuum gauge since about 2009 on SBC and about 2 years ago I put an edelbrock 650 on my 454 as an experiment. I have gotten pretty decent at tuning them.
This will be my first 800 cfm edelbrock but the 650 and 800 seem to bear a slight resemblance to each other.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Those heads don't have raised exhaust ports, they just have a taller head bolt boss

·
Registered
124 Posts
The edelbrock will cost you atleast 25 ... And harder to tune ...

I hate edelbrock carbs , not performance carbs ... Just my opinion .. 950hp carb (830cfm) would be best .... Holley, qf, aed,etc ...

And you need 3in exhaust . 2 1/2 will kill power ...

I have a similar build for customer right now . Check it out
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/13-...d-change-460-bbc-race-rite-oval-bullit-s.html

My .02

I'm hoping for 580-600 out of it ...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,036 Posts
Use a 950 holley and a Straub or claysmith cam with 3 inch exhaust and you will be into the 600 horsepower range.

·
Registered
14,128 Posts
It will run nice. The Eddy heads make nice midrange tq and you can feel it seat of the pants.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts