Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides the M21 & M22, what are some good 4 or 5 speeds? I know that there are a few Borg Warners to choose from, but I am not familiar with them. What prices should I be expecting to pay.

------------------
Ted Stojkovski
(formerly Skunkynuggets)
(so add about 300+ posts)
Syracuse NY
Team Chevelle #172

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Borg Warner Super T10 4 speed sells for $1300 new in summit and is very good.

------------------
Joe Y.
68 malibu
Bloomington/Normal, IL

·
Registered
13,015 Posts
Good used Super T-10s should sell for about the same price as a good used Muncie. The S T-10 was used mid-70s and later. The regular T-10s were used in the 50-60s and will not stand up to torque of modern V-8s.
To the best of my knowledge, GM never made what I would consider a "good" 5sp. The ones that were available were never intended for service behind killer V-8s. Even the latest, strongest 6sp made by GM was only installed behind a SB. If you don't intend to do serious, hard core, regular drag racing, then a well built Muncie or Super T-10 will make an excellent tranny. Keep in mind that Muncies were used with the baddest engines Chevy ever made. And the Super T-10 is just as good or stronger.
For a 5sp that is essentially a bolt in swap for a Muncie, consider a Richmond. Summit sells them for a good price, free shipping and no tax. Hurst makes a good shifter for the Richmond.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
138 Posts
The T56 6 speed is fairly strong - rated at 450 ft lbs. Although GM only put SB behind them (the Camaro, Firebird & Corvette), Chrysler used this same tranny behind the V-10 in the Viper.

------------------

·
Registered
138 Posts
According to Borg Warner, the only difference is the shifter location and bellhousing hookup. The corvette uses a similiar style, same internals different casing.

------------------

·
Registered
567 Posts
The Super T-10 is Awesome especially with the
2.70(?) first gear!......Maybe you could find an older Doug Nash 5-speed???...might be worth looking into.

------------------
Jungle Jim #105 Gold
70SS396 & 70 Malibu~ Cajun Country,Louisiana~
"Fight the good Fight every moment, every minute,every day. Make it worth the price you pay!"

·
Registered
339 Posts
Have to agree with Tom above. GM never really used a good five speed. Highest rating is about 250 ft.lbs. Pretty oddball setup too with the angled front bolting. Get a Tremec under 2000 with 3;27 first gear and .67 fifth. Still have to make some changes in crossmember and driveshaft. Still, a five speed is the way to go these days. Performance and economy too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 67 - with a 1970 4 speed which was/is behind a 402/350hp - don't think it's a rock crusher - but I was told that third gear has a bad syco --- where can one get rebuild parts - I was told that the 4 speeds are getting hard to find parts for.

·
Registered
13,015 Posts
Larry Fischer of D & L Transmissions has anything you need. I buy all my Muncie parts from Larry. Tell him Tom Parsons referred you, 516-351-4837. I have never done business with Gearzone, but everyone here who has used them has been very satisfied so far.
By the way, what is your 3rd gear doing?

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
5,855 Posts
The T56 used in the Viper is not the same tranny used in GM's cars. It's a HD version. Also,the torque rating for the GM T56 is 400ft/lbs,,not 450. The 6spd with the highest rating was the ZF unit used in the 90-92 ZR-1 Corvettes. It had the 450ft/lb rating. The 93-95 ZF wasn't quite as strong.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Everyone is correct concerning the GM T5 they put in the mid 80's F-bodies. I do believe however that there is/was a stronger replacement available for the T5.

It's the "World-Class" T5. I know, I know, you've probably heard more about it being a Mustang trans... but I believe they also produce(d)? a GM version which was supposed to handle more torque.

Thanks.

------------------
our Website: sites.netscape.net/thebowtiegang/homepage

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.