1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
I put a 5 hp Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine on my bicycle, and it worked. Not really so weird, but I was only 10 years old at the time.

Kinda scary when you're doing about 30 mph, and only have that skinny little rear brake to slow you down....:surprise:

Reactions: cheveslakr

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
Old VW bug with a SBC in the front. looked like a lot work for.......A VW bug.

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy Chevelle
834 Posts
400 Pontiac w/ TH400 from my 73 GranPrix swapped into my 72 Chevelle back in high school days. Wrecked one, needed a ride, Chevelle sitting on side of the barn at work, welded the engine in Friday night had a driveshaft cut Saturday and back to school Monday..actually moved out pretty good..
get creative out on the farm

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I know a guy that swapped an 5.3 LS engine into a Triumph TR7 and another guy that swapped one of those 6 cylinder turbo charged Toyota Supra engines into a 70 Nova. There is a guy that comes to the local track about once a year with some sort of diesel in his 70 Chevelle.

The guys that drift Wednesday nights at the local track are kings of the engine swap. I’ve seen LS engines in almost every single rear wheel drive 80’s and 90’s Japanese or European make and model imaginable. Not to mention more traditional V8’s and transplanted 4 and 6 cylinder engines of various makes, usually with a turbo hanging off the side.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
400 Pontiac w/ TH400 from my 73 GranPrix swapped into my 72 Chevelle back in high school days. Wrecked one, needed a ride, Chevelle sitting on side of the barn at work, welded the engine in Friday night had a driveshaft cut Saturday and back to school Monday..actually moved out pretty good..
get creative out on the farm
Necessity is the Mother of Invention. :thumbsup:

About a dozen years back there was a guy on this forum doing a Viper V-10 swap into a '67 Beaumont. He got deep into it but I never saw the finished product.He was into some custom sheetmetal work on the body as well.

·
Premium Member
6,963 Posts
I know a guy that swapped an 5.3 LS engine into a Triumph TR7
My uncle owns a 1979 Triumph TR8 that he bought new. The TR8 is a TR7 only factory-supplied with the same 215ci Buick V8 I mentioned above, that a buddy swapped into his Vega. In the Triumph, it's fuel injected and mated to a 5-speed manual. I believe the 3.5L V8 that Range Rover used until very recently is based on the very same 215ci aluminum Buick mill.

Reactions: 71350SS

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
My uncle owns a 1979 Triumph TR8 that he bought new. The TR8 is a TR7 only factory-supplied with the same 215ci Buick V8 I mentioned above, that a buddy swapped into his Vega. In the Triumph, it's fuel injected and mated to a 5-speed manual. I believe the 3.5L V8 that Range Rover used until very recently is based on the very same 215ci aluminum Buick mill.
A great lightweight V8 swap for the Triumph and really a natural for the Vega, in the spirit of the aluminum engine.
I have a friend with a '62 F85. He's got headers with a chambered exhaust & swapped in a 5-speed & 4-wheel disks. I've driven it. Not truly fast (it is only 215) but it is very entertaining & spirited with a great growl & crackle to the exhaust note. The car was bought new in Kitchener by Mrs. Seagrams of the well-known Seagrams Distillers but was running a gawd-awful slushbox originally.

I thought the TR7 coupes were odd & nothing special when they came out, but the TR8 ragtops made me change my tune. Then they were gone like that (like most of the British marques).

·
Registered
672 Posts
There's an older guy around these parts (Roger) that was a parts salesman for a Mopar dealer and he has an early 50's Chevy P/U with a 383 Mopar under the hood, he's even running Mopar dog dish hub caps on it. I used to harass him about it every chance I got. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
One weird swap I remember was a '62 Chevy II sedan with a 300 Ford six set up for the strip. Really it isn't a stretch but it sure is a 1-off.

A BBC in a Morris Minor. A Crown conversion mid-engine V8 swap into a Corvair. (intriguing). Up at summer camp they had a 1960 Mercury 3/4 ton beater running an old 24 stud flathead V8. With blown mufflers it actually sounded good.

Not that weird of a swap, but I knew a guy with a '75 Nova SS 350 4-speed. He swapped in a stock 1969 250 six for economy. Many musclecars had similar downgrades, like Boss 302s getting mild 302 Windors to be driven daily, and many a solid-lifter BBC getting swapped out for mild 350s during the fuel crunch eras.

It just came to me, I once read about a weird swap in Hot Rod, a VW-based dune buggy with a water-cooled Evinrude V4 2-stroke outboard block. The thing had a rad on the roll bar behind the driver. I think it was destined to run the Baja.

·
Registered
168 Posts
New a guy in the late 70's that put a 327 in a Datsun 240z...He did a nice job on it and had it in the Omaha show a couple of times in 80-84ous era. The Triumph GT6's were kinda cool, looked like a mini vet. Always wonder what a SBC would do in one of those :)

John

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
28,949 Posts
70 Chrysler 440 in a 56 T-bird. Actually was reasonably well done.

·
Premium Member
6,963 Posts
A great lightweight V8 swap for the Triumph and really a natural for the Vega, in the spirit of the aluminum engine.
I have a friend with a '62 F85. He's got headers with a chambered exhaust & swapped in a 5-speed & 4-wheel disks. I've driven it. Not truly fast (it is only 215) but it is very entertaining & spirited with a great growl & crackle to the exhaust note. The car was bought new in Kitchener by Mrs. Seagrams of the well-known Seagrams Distillers but was running a gawd-awful slushbox originally.

I thought the TR7 coupes were odd & nothing special when they came out, but the TR8 ragtops made me change my tune. Then they were gone like that (like most of the British marques).
I've also seen the little 215ci Buick V8 in a vintage speed boat. It had finned aluminum valve covers, an Edelbrock intake, and Holley 4bbl, and to your point, it sounded GREAT. Cool stuff - would love to see your buddy's F85.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
The following pictures might be 12~15 years old and taken before many seasons of tinkering. My friend used to live nearby but moved a good 2+ hours east. He still has my engine hoist but I don't have the space anyway. He machined his hubs to retain 4-lug pattern after the 4-wheel disk brake swap (mistake). He has since redone it in 5-lug. Like I said, constant tinkering.
He also built a Model A rat rod since that time with a hopped-up Chevy inline six after getting inspired by mine.

One of those Olds-Buick-Rover V8s would give a great power / weight ratio in a Morgan +8.

Attachments

·
Registered
861 Posts
i put a 13 hp predator engine in place of the yamaha gas engine in my golf cart. Funny thing is, they shipped me 2 engines, and have never come looking for the second one. So plan was, engine #1 to go in the golf cart to make sure i can get everything to work properly. Then take engine #2, remove the governor, upgrade the valve springs, etc, throw that one in and let her eat. Sadly, engine #2 is still sitting in a box in my garage.

i do have a friend with a V-twin in his golf cart. He sort of cheated though and bought the whole kit. I used a welder.

·
Registered
15,537 Posts
On the subject of Buick 215s, my brother has this pair with the crankshafts coupled together off an old pulling tractor. They were mildly successful against a single-BB Chevy. (As I understand it, they are Buick 215 blocks with Olds 215 heads)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 54 Posts