Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently sold a 1971 Malibu and I wonder if I "gave it away". It had bucket seats and an automatic console. The interior was ugly,l but fair; gray tweed with lavender leather inserts. The replaceable plate on top of the console had three holes in it filled with buttons to open the doors and trunk. The door and trunk locks were "shaved" along with the door handles. All emblems were gone as well. The fenders and hood were excellent. The doors were very, very good. The quarters had been patched with metal before I got it and some filler was showing on the passenger's side. The trunk lid was good. The bumpers were good. The driver's side fenderwell was excellent, the other was rusted out under the battery. All floors were in very good condition, no holes, minor surface rust. The trunk floor had a couple very small pinholes and very little surface rust. The engine was a 350 out of a 1975 van. It had most of a Holley 4bbl on an Edelbrock torker intake, headers, a rusted out exhaust system. The tranny was a powerglide. It had a grille off a 1970 on it. The wiring had been hacked up for the door and trunk solenoids, but all exterior lights worked. Nothing on the dash worked. There was a rattle only at idle that seemed to emanate from behind the engine (maybe a flywheel bolt had come loose). What would have been a fair price?

------------------
Mike
formerly known as gotapileof70Malibu (so add 80 to my number of posts)
'70 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible

·
Registered
339 Posts
Sounds like it needed a whole lot of work, but could have had real possibilities when complete. Low ball price for this would be about 1500 bucks I'd guess. How much did you get for it, out of curiousity? tom

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was asking $1500 and even posted it here, but I sold to a kid up the road for $1200. It sounds bad, but really the body was excellent for that price and this area (southern Indiana). Heck, I only put about $1400 into it and I switched the cowl hood for a flat one, switched the 3.31 12 bolt for a 2.73 10 bolt, and switched the excellent passenger side fender well for a bad one. I guess that stuff is worth a lot more than $200!

------------------
Mike
'70 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sure was bad watching it leave. Man, with the buckets and console, some bucket seat conversion brackets, and my convertible..... Well I needed the money to finish paying for the convertible.

------------------
Mike
'70 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible

·
Registered
85 Posts
Joe454 aka Mike, Well I traded a REALLY decent '69 Malibu convertible with #'s matching 300 horse 350 with powerglide, bench seat, manual top, non factory air, power steering, manual drum brakes, red exterior, red interior, white top (about 1 1/2 years old) new exhaust, I paid $3500 for it, & it ran great.

What did I trade it for? a 1970 Malibu convertible basketcase, AND a 1971 Monte Carlo which ran and drove which HAD a full factory guage with tach dash (I say HAD, cause I swiched it out for one withOUT) the Monte also HAD a 12 bolt 3.31 non-posi rear. Yep, out IT came as well.

I sold the Monte Carlo for $1600 and ended up with about $1900 in my '70 Malibu convertible (plus those parts I mentioned). NOT bad.

It's just NOW I still regret having done this trade two years later. I'd sure like to have that '69 Malibu convertible back but $3500 wouldn't touch it NOW!

Sure, I got my '70 convertible, but it'll be a LONG time before it's even a driver!!

Oh well. I just HAD to have that '70 convertible.

Thanks, Len

·
Registered
172 Posts
Len,....
Joe454 aka mike??( assuming aka means "also known as") You don't think I am Mike(ragtop70) (gotapileof70malibu), Do you? If Yes, why would you think that? If not, why are you addressing me in a post I have nothing to do with?
If you made a mistake no problem here.
Who said I wanna be like Mike?
BTW : You got a decent buck, Mike. And also, you could never put a price on the way you feel about your car. If we could, we would never get what we were asking.Oh yeah,Mike, Any idea on the "Joe454 aka Mike" reference?
------------------

–Joe–
"67 Malibu"

[This message has been edited by Joe454 (edited 07-04-99).]

·
Registered
85 Posts
Crap.. CALM down.. I happened to have two different windows opened at that time.

Apparently the OTHER one DID have YOUR name (Joe454) there. Jeesh SOOORY. You're AWFULL touchy when someone makes a mistake.

That's pretty harsh, even WHEN followed by... "the If you made a mistake no problem here."

[This message has been edited by Len (edited 07-05-99).]

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've seen a lot of hard feelings and fights start with this very problem.Let me explain.
The biggest problem with reading what people say instead of hearing what they say is, when you read a person's post you assume the tone of voice they are using. But , if you were to hear me in person you would know I was not upset one bit. I just wanted to know why my name was mentioned.Always assume the best from people and thats what you will get
.I am sorry Len,for giving you the wrong impression and thanks for the explination..........Joe454

[This message has been edited by Joe454 (edited 07-05-99).]

·
Registered
85 Posts
no problem. I truly NEVER thought you were RagTop70.

Sorry Ragtop70 for this sidetrack to YOUR post.

Back to your topic, a LOT depends on what part of the country you are from.

Thanks, Len

·
Registered
29 Posts
ragtop70,
what part of southern,In? I'm in Scottsburg.
Have you still got that 12 bolt?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's really not that bad being me...well, maybe it is. I'm in North Vernon (near Seymour). I've still got the 12 bolt, but it's going under my ragtop.

------------------
Mike
'70 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible

·
Registered
826 Posts
North Vernon? Hell, I've got family there. You ever heard of the Kippers? (And to relate this directly to Chevelles)...my aunt and uncle that owned the farm there had an old Chevy in the garage. When I got to be around driving age I took a look at it one time. It was a Biscayne, must have been around '65 or so. It had a six and a 3 on the tree. Marie used it to go to church and the store. It had some ridiculously low mileage on it. I tried to track it down when we were looking for a car in February, but my dad said another family member got it and was taking good care of it. Still, woulda been a nice clean body to work with...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry TH, isp has been having some troubles. I don't know if I know the Kippers or not. The name sounds kind of familiar. Is one of 'em a cop?

------------------
Mike
'70 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.