Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I took out all the seats on my Malibu and I tore up all the insulation that's under the rug and I noticed some rusting. It's really only surface rust on the inside because my weatherstripping needs replacing and water leaks in my windows when I don't have it covered. My question is what should I do about this? I'm kinda low on budget so I was thinking maybe sanding it down and priming it as opposed to replacing the floorpans. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
702 Posts
There is a line of products that many of the people here including myself have used called POR15.They have a paint like product that chemically converts a rusty surface to a tough fairly hard surface.It is unlike the cheap stuff in the hardware store.They also now have a kit where they package that with fiberglass mat and epoxy putty for the use of floor board or trunk pan repair.Try a search on por15,I dont have the link handy.

Tony

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
bistledink -

Definitely no need to cut out the rust if its only on the surface and there is no severe weakening, especially in a non-visible area like the floorpans. Follow the advice of the others here. Good luck!

------------------
Rainer Seitz
Vancouver, WA
Team Chevelle Gold #50
ACES #3784

'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible 350/300hp
[email protected]

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you've got only surface rust, or even more for that matter, unless it's REALLY bad, the POR-15 can't be beat. www.por15.com

------------------
Phil
"I don't believe I'da told that"

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great advice guys! I've seen por15 mentioned alot around here, i just never new what it was. Anyways, thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you decide to go with POR15 you'll want to do the full treatment. Clean the whole area with Marine Clean or some other cleaner you trust, then use Metal Ready to dissolve any remaining rust. I don't know what's in that stuff but it's amazing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts