Chevelles.com banner

41 - 60 of 202 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,585 Posts
I wasn't asking for help in the initial post. I was simply showing that no Chevelle is too rusty to save when parts are available. It was meant to be educational to those who may feel intimidated by rust.
I still say your convertible thread should be a sticky. I was going to patch my trunk. AFTER reading that thread I realized that it wasn't as bad of a job as I thought to do it right. I replaced everything behind the doors and I'm glad I did. I referenced it several times during the project.

·
Premium Member
16,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
The outer rocker is a PITA to do. There are a lot of spot welds to drill out both in the front and the back. The quarter has to be off to do it and you have to drill the inner C pillar structure out of the way. I'm just going to piece in what I need on this one. It's easier.

Having said that, here are some new pics. It's pretty rough but I can fix it.

Started cutting out the cowl sides. Need to do it one side at a time here.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Yea it can be very intimidating , especially from what you've told me , when the old metal covered with fiberglass resin just crumbles .
That is exactly how mine started.. well, fiberglass with 12 inch long wrenches underneath to provide support...:D

Tom, I never knew things could be that far and someone could ressurect ... I looked at the cowl, and said "toss a piece of metal thru there, tack it to the frame and thats the starting point..."

How do you eat an elephant? Silly for me to even ask.. I justnever saw an elephant in a garage before...

I am subscribed thank you very much...

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Tom

Looks good. Did it slide right in with the firewall out?

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
WOW
Definitely a labour of love and not for the $/hr because you will never get that out of it.
Thanks for saving another. The talent on this site never ceases to amaze
And WOW again in case you missed the first one.
Dunc

·
Premium Member
16,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Tom

Looks good. Did it slide right in with the firewall out?
Not really, I ended up putting it in through the door. It went right in.

WOW
Definitely a labour of love and not for the $/hr because you will never get that out of it.
Thanks for saving another. The talent on this site never ceases to amaze
And WOW again in case you missed the first one.
Dunc
This is actually a paying job, not one of my cars.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Always fun to watch you put a "jigsaw puzzle" back together again! Just be sure not to have any pieces left over (except for the rusty ones!).

·
Premium Member
18,161 Posts
Wow dude, and I though we had rusty cars up here. Glad to see one that bad is getting saved. Most would have took what good parts they could and scrap the rest.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,593 Posts
Wow, I can't imagine tackling a project like that. I'd have thrown in the towel when all that rust was discovered. Kudos to you for doing it and doing it right. Just rounding up all the panels and pieces is probably a project in itself, especially ones not repro'd and from parts cars. If the owner has any conscience at all he'll pay you for all the extra work.

·
Premium Member
16,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
It's just like a big jigsaw puzzle Von. The nice thing is I can get everything I need from AMD to fix it. I did go get a parts car for $100 for some things, mostly the door hinge post and rocker panels so I didn't have to buy the whole thing. We are going to try and have it ready to go to Ohio in August.

41 - 60 of 202 Posts