Team Chevelle banner

What to do about my pulleys?

5K views 47 replies 16 participants last post by  Dave 
#1 ·
I keep throwing the belt that runs my water pump and alternator at 6000 rpm. It is aligned and plenty tight. The problem is either the speed, or the fact that the belt doesnt sit all the way in the alternator pulley.

Should I:

A> Get a march underdrive crank pulley which will turn all my accessories slower? I believe it is part number 7021 on this site, correct me if wrong.
http://www.hotrodheaven.com/store/mfg/march/march_bbc.html

B> Get just a deep groove 50% reduction alternator pulley?
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-G3969&FROM=MG

I am partial to B because I notice that my water pump flows slightly more efficient and cools better if I increase throttle off idle. I am worried if I slow it down too much then in traffic it may get too hot. Yes I could buy a better WP but would rather not do that. Also, not sure how my power steering would like the smaller crank pulley.

Thanks for your comments, Brett

See less See more
#5 ·
Brett- I will take a picture of the pulley I found from a shop and the style belt. I would throw my belt everytime I was getting on it and it was killing me.
One thing I did learn is if you can spin your alternator pulley by hand, (It takes some muscle) you do not have enough tension.
I went through 4-5 different belts before I got the one from Pep Boys that works.

#12 ·
I drive on the street though, and often in traffic. This isnt a drag only... I may require charging and cooling at low speeds/stop and go.

#11 ·
#14 ·
Roger Brian, I may never even buy slicks. Not worth the cash for how little I would use them. Also, what header gaskets should I use? I'm gonna order the mid lengths.

#17 ·
Are you absolutely sure it is pulleys and not the brackets? At higher RPMs the alignment and rigidity of the brackets becomes extremely important. I may not rev the bejeebers out of my 402... but even with the DS wide mount for the alternator and basic pulleys I have never tossed a belt. But I run the Alan Grove mounts which are quite well aligned and rigid/triangulated.

#18 ·
Brett, just try a thinner belt.
go to your local Napa,bring your belt & tell them you want the same length but 1mm thinner.

you'll be suprised on how much deeper it sits in the pullies.

#20 ·
Good eyes Dan!
Looks like Brett has a wide belt with a thin pulley
As his belt took a whippin FRI...time for a new belt anyway

#21 ·
If your nice Brett, I could let you borrow a march pulley to try. And no, it doesn't slow down so much it causes drivability issues in the summer with heat. My chevelle creaps up in really hot weather, in stop and go traffic but that is because it does not have a shroud and just a three core metal readiator.

#22 ·
If hes NICE?
ok Brett, so on your trip to Napa.....................

#23 ·
I believe the problem is my pulleys dont match. The crank and waterpump are for a wider belt, the alternator is for a thinner belt. I think if I match the waterpump pulley with the other pulleys, all should be fine.

Darryl, thanks for the offer but I think I've got it under control now after speaking with Erik/Brian a little. I have some things to check out under the hood, will let you guys know after I do taht tonight.

#24 · (Edited)
Never buy used slicks, yer never know the real history, plus, those look like circle track slicks, I've never seen drag ones with that style lettering, as for header gaskets, I recommend Mr. Gasket ultra seals, they have never let me down, for a bit of added insurance, put a SMALL bead of high temp silicone on both sides, I run them on Taz with no probs.

#25 ·
#30 ·
Serpentine setup is over twice the cost. With the combination of deep groove and underdrive setup, I should have no more belt tossing. If its alignment, which it isnt, I would need to fix that regardless.

#36 ·
#37 ·
Dave, I'm still happy with my purchase. Should be here tomorrow. I think if anyone needs to invest in the serpentine setup it would be you... I dont know how long I could handle the squeeling belt issue you have. :D Sorry, just had too. :yes:

#40 ·
Dave, I'm still happy with my purchase. Should be here tomorrow. I think if anyone needs to invest in the serpentine setup it would be you... I dont know how long I could handle the squeeling belt issue you have. :D Sorry, just had too. :yes:
TrustMe, I KNOW. I've got it narrowed down to the Alt belt, I think it's the chrome finish. Thinking about yanking it, and taking some sandpaper too it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.