Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep throwing the belt that runs my water pump and alternator at 6000 rpm. It is aligned and plenty tight. The problem is either the speed, or the fact that the belt doesnt sit all the way in the alternator pulley.

Should I:

A> Get a march underdrive crank pulley which will turn all my accessories slower? I believe it is part number 7021 on this site, correct me if wrong.
http://www.hotrodheaven.com/store/mfg/march/march_bbc.html

B> Get just a deep groove 50% reduction alternator pulley?
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-G3969&FROM=MG

I am partial to B because I notice that my water pump flows slightly more efficient and cools better if I increase throttle off idle. I am worried if I slow it down too much then in traffic it may get too hot. Yes I could buy a better WP but would rather not do that. Also, not sure how my power steering would like the smaller crank pulley.

Thanks for your comments, Brett

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
Cant you get a standard deep grove pulley? I think the 375HP 396 SS motors came stock with deep grove pulleys. Is it hard to find one on ebay?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Brett- I will take a picture of the pulley I found from a shop and the style belt. I would throw my belt everytime I was getting on it and it was killing me.
One thing I did learn is if you can spin your alternator pulley by hand, (It takes some muscle) you do not have enough tension.
I went through 4-5 different belts before I got the one from Pep Boys that works.

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts
You both need a 30% reduction March pulley,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, nuff said,,,,,just do it.

·
Premium Member
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You both need a 30% reduction March pulley,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, nuff said,,,,,just do it.
I drive on the street though, and often in traffic. This isnt a drag only... I may require charging and cooling at low speeds/stop and go.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I have a electric water pump drive going on soon, does that work for yah?

Cute Brian...

Is this a good deal on slicks? I tried to get him to separate and just sell the rears but he wouldnt budge. I havent checked the BS yet. Perhaps I could sell the fronts?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/673351125.html

I would be more inclined to get a set of steel wheels for cheap somehwere, somebodies gotta have some. Even 15X8s would work fine. Then buy a set of new slicks. Thats what I would have done but my wheels I use for slicks kinda fell into my lap

·
Premium Member
7,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Roger Brian, I may never even buy slicks. Not worth the cash for how little I would use them. Also, what header gaskets should I use? I'm gonna order the mid lengths.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Roger Brian, I may never even buy slicks. Not worth the cash for how little I would use them. Also, what header gaskets should I use? I'm gonna order the mid lengths.
DONT buy fel-pros,I did for my 489 and they were exhaust leak city, replaced them with cheapie mr gasket 8.99for a pair and they work great. They are white and got them at autozone if that helps.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Are you absolutely sure it is pulleys and not the brackets? At higher RPMs the alignment and rigidity of the brackets becomes extremely important. I may not rev the bejeebers out of my 402... but even with the DS wide mount for the alternator and basic pulleys I have never tossed a belt. But I run the Alan Grove mounts which are quite well aligned and rigid/triangulated.

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
Brett, just try a thinner belt.
go to your local Napa,bring your belt & tell them you want the same length but 1mm thinner.

you'll be suprised on how much deeper it sits in the pullies.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Had this issue on my 68 setup with the alternator way out on the driver side. Tried many belts, shims, washers that belt ease crap etc. Put the march underdrive pulleys on and it fixed it PDQ. I had some luck with a bigger alt pulley but it squeeled at high rpm so I just bouight the march setup.

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Brett, just try a thinner belt.
go to your local Napa,bring your belt & tell them you want the same length but 1mm thinner.

you'll be suprised on how much deeper it sits in the pullies.
Good eyes Dan!
Looks like Brett has a wide belt with a thin pulley
As his belt took a whippin FRI...time for a new belt anyway

1 - 20 of 48 Posts