Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this thing?

On saturday I went to my garage and started the wiring process on the velle with a wiring guru friend of mine. In the process we found this. He tried to explain it to me but didnt do a good job.

He said it was the switch that helped the wiring know what gear it was in. That wouls supply power (12 volts) to everything else. Now is that right? Where can I get one like this? Do I have to put one of these back in because my shifter is no longer on the column (and wasn't when I got the car for that matter
).

Thanks for the help guys…

------------------
1970 chevelle
406 - TH-350 - soon to be 411's
406velle

"I didn't get pulled over for going over the speed limit, i got pulled over for getting there faster than anyone else"

[This message has been edited by 406_70_velle (edited 04-01-2002).]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I give. Don't recognize it off-hand. Too many wires for a neutral start switch if that's what your friend is describing.
Almost looks like an ignition switch but I can't really tell.

[This message has been edited by John_Muha (edited 04-01-2002).]

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it was for a column shifter, and the column that is in the car is a column shift. My thought was they didn't change any of the wiring but they did move the shifter

If it was an ignition switch do I need to buy one like this or is there another way of doing it?

Thanks guys…

------------------
1970 chevelle
406velle

"I didn't get pulled over for going over the speed limit, i got pulled over for getting there faster than anyone else"

·
Registered
190 Posts
that is the ignition switch that is mounted on the column,a rod comes down from the key part to work it. now i don't know if there is a differance between column shift and floor shift switches. yes you need this to start the car and supply power to everything with switch on. any auto parts store should have it,they can see by listings if it calls for a differant one for column shift or even automatic.hope this helps,JIMK

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes as a matter of fact it does help very much so thank you.

Now another question, I had this mangled mess and an key on dash switch put in. So in theory I had 2 ignitions, right? There was the switch in the column and on the dash. This would explain why my car would use one to start and run and if I used the other key on the column and turned it to the on position it would stay on right? No if

I have a switch on the dash do I still need to replace this or can I wire everything to the dash ignition?

Thanks so much for the help, the whole wiring thing is starting to make sense now…

------------------
1970 chevelle
406velle

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Yes, that is the ignition switch. If your car was column shift, it would have had a second switch on the column which is the backup lamp/neutral safety switch. A variation of that switch would be on the shift linkage for a floor shift car.

·
Registered
190 Posts
406_70_velle, man i am with you,i hate wiring it is time consuming so yes you can do away with this switch and wire everything to the dash switch,now, what goes where? that will be the fun part so a wiring diagram will come in very handy.also your column switch(key goes in) will still lock the column unless you disable it.good luck.JIMK

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks what the best way to disable that? I do plan on putting a new column in at some point but this just to hold me over.

By any chance does anyone know if the 68 chevelles have a dash or column ignition?

Thanks for the help i appreciate it. I have a test light and a wiring diagram so I have all the arsenal just don't have a plan yet

------------------
1970 chevelle
406velle

·
Registered
190 Posts
well..... if you remove your steering wheel you will see the lock plate,it will have several "notches" in it that a pin,when key is in lock position comes up to engage these "notches". somehow you need to either remove this pin or push it back and find someway to secure it from coming out. if it does come out while driving it will lock the steering wheel in place so it would be best to remove it.good luck.your question about 68's i don't know for sure but i seem to remember my dads and it had the column switch.JIMK

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So in theory it would be better for me to get a 68 column with the dash mounted ignition and move all of my ignition to the dash?

Then column that I have in the car now was a column shifter and also doesn't have a key so it would make sense for me to change it anyway, right?

------------------
1970 chevelle
406velle

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 406_70_velle:
So in theory it would be better for me to get a 68 column with the dash mounted ignition and move all of my ignition to the dash?

Then column that I have in the car now was a column shifter and also doesn't have a key so it would make sense for me to change it anyway, right?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not sure. Since the 68s are a keyless column and 69 and up have keys, I can't tell if it will fit. The books won't show them as an interchange. Need a steering column expert. Also the turn signal switch is different. I don't know if a 68 plug is identical to a 69 and up connector. Maybe someone else knows.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
If you have a 1970 Chevelle, then you should have a column with a locking switch and so on. Why not get a correct column and get on with it? From your picture, I will assume that you need some new wiring, or maybe a complete harness.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah my friend easier said than done. Money doesn't grow on trees. The new (used) column will set me back a 100 bucks and the wiring harness (complete from painless) runs about 250 and change. That just can't happen right now.

What I did do though is go under the dash and cut out all the bad splicing and nightmares under there and brought it back to original. Or as far back as possible. I was hoping to use a dash ignition and get a column in a month or so without the key on the column.

Thanks john. i think there is a harness of some sort thats more like an adapter. Maybe i can look into that.

------------------
1970 chevelle
406velle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts