Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, i have an issue that i hope someone can help out with. my 454 was bored 30 over and all internals were replaces making it an all roller stroker motor. i haven't actually put it in the car and started it yet but have turned it and primed it manually. for some reason oil is only flowing to one side and not both! what could be wrong? i'm using a priming tool with a high torque drill to turn it. is there something wrong or is it just because the stroke of the motor making it difficult for a drill to make the oil flow to both sides?:confused: i appreciate any help you all provide. thanks in advance.
eddie

·
Administrator
17,187 Posts
Sounds like you have the wrong priming tool.

If you's looks like the one on the bottom ,it'll only prime the driver side of the engine

The correct primer need the base of the distributor duplicated to allow oil to flow to the passenger side of the block.
Easy to make from an old distributor.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
here is a pic of the priming tool i have. if it only primes the driver side, is there one that primes both? even worse if it's the correct one then what else could be the problem?

Attachments

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
it can take a long time for the passenger side sometimes. I've never seen a satisfactory explanation for why this is.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have also heard that it takes a while to get oil to the other side especially when you have a stroked motor. hope that is the case. i spent enough $ building this motor as it is and haven't even been able to start it yet since the car is still in the rebuild phase. i should have probably waited to build the motor last. granted i didn't intend on going this far with the restoration but then again who does? :D

·
Registered
18,906 Posts
i don't see why adding a stroker crank would make it take longer for oil to get to one side of the engine than a stock crank- the mains are still the same diameter and in the same place.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that doesn't make much sense to me either, just what i heard from a few people that gave advice about the oil issue.:confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts