Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awhile back I had to change the oil pan seal on my 355 SB. Sitting at the bottom of my 7 quart pan was what appeared to be a brass colored washer. It was about the circumferance of the HEI distributor shaft and I figured that has to be where it came from. Low and behold, I put another 7,000 miles on the motor with that same dist. with no real probs. Now I want to change out my points dist. on the 402 with the HEI off the 355SB, but I'm wondering if thats a smart call concidering there might be a missing part to the puzzel. Also, I heard shoddy distributors can cause valve train failure and oil pressure problems. Any help whats-so-ever on this topic is greatly appreciated! :cool:

·
Administrator
16,203 Posts
If the washer you found was intact, not in 2 pieces, then it could have not came off of the distributer, at least not the one presently in the engine. Do you still have the washer? Can you post a photo of it?
If you really want a good distributer for your 402 contact Dave Ray in Whittier, CA he can build you one set up to match your engine specs and car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually can't get a photo 'cause I just chucked it in the trash after I removed it
. But it was bronze, almost perfectly round but it had a spilt in it that made it like a "C". I also remember it having something like stress lines on the actuall washer it's self.... I just can't think of what it could be if not from the dist.

·
Administrator
16,203 Posts
That is strange, but unless you built the motor and no one else ever touched it you can't be sure of how it got into the engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts