Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me an idea of what kind of power it's safe to run through a stock powerglide and 3.08 pegleg 10 bolt?

I've come to the realization that I'm just not going to like commuting with the 250 L6. I'm begining to explore the different GM crate 350s, but I'd like to know how the rest of the drivetrain will hold up under that sort of power, assuming it's basic daily use, no racing or heavy abuse.

Yes, I know that it would be best to upgrade both the tranny and rear, but that won't be possible to do ($$) at the time I'd like to do the engine. Those thing will eventually happen, but not in the first 6-12 months of having the engine.

Thanks, Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/~68_chevelle/Chevelle/Info.html
Email: [email protected]
T.C. Gold #6
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Registered
336 Posts
I wouldnt sweat it with a small block.. one thing to remember is the rear end (ring&pinion, and carrier & axle bearings) is probably 30+ years old so it might not take that much abuse to break something.. but a solid pg/10 bolt will have no problem with just about any small block daily driver.

my 2 cents.

------------------

Mike Reeh
Gold #34
San Diego, CA

·
Registered
287 Posts
In my humble opinion a stock rear will take whatever power you give it. Why? With stock street tires either you wo'nt have enough power to break parts or you'll have so much power you'll just blow off the tires. My 550hp (approx) '72 never hurt my 12 bolt and I never worried about it w/ street tires. Never hooked. But if you put slicks on then thats another story. I would'nt worry about it in your situation.
Keep the glide and let it grow with your needs. My friend has a glide behind his 1800hp 70 and it is living. Obviously, though its WAY not stock

·
Registered
162 Posts
One thing to be aware of is that the powerglides for L6 cars are wimpier than the v8 ones (few clutches, perhaps no cooling lines to the radiator). My info is for 65, but I suspect it holds for other years. --- Carl

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Yes, the l6 powerglides aren't as strong as the ones behind the v8s but they have a higher first gear! Besides, unless you do neutral drops and stupid stuff like that, you're really not going to break drive train parts with street tires that can't get good traction anyway.

------------------
Joe Y.
68 malibu
Bloomington/Normal, IL

G

·
The only difference in the 6 and 4 cylinder powerglide is the first gear ratio. In all other respects it is the same trans. The taller gear set in these units is more desirable for racing.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette

·
Registered
44 Posts
Straight 6 PG's are air cooled. The V8 ones are water cooled. My '66 Pontiac LeMans OHC 6 PG was air cooled, my 283 Malibu PG was water cooled. That could reduce the lifetime of your trans behind a V8.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for al the info. THis is what I wanted to hear. It's nice to know that I won't have to replace the tranny right away with the engine.

Now, anyone got $3000 they wanna give me for a ZZ4

Kurt

------------------
T.C. Gold #6
A.C.E.S. #1352

G

·
Water cooled? All PGs have cooling lines that go to the radiator, 4 and 6 cylinder units may have large holes in the bell of the trans, is that what is called air cooled? Please! I had one of these "air cooled units in my SS/IA camaro, I used it because it was lighter and had the higher 1st gear. It still had the normal cooling lines.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette

·
Registered
900 Posts
Sorry Wally, but my 66 came with a 6cyl and pg and it had no cooling lines just large air holes in bell houseing.The 4dr. parts car i'f got with a v8 had cooling lines to the rad. FYI..... Rick

·
Administrator
16,204 Posts
The powerglide in my 64 is from a 66 Chevelle with a 6 and has no cooling lines, also has fins on the torque convertor to move more air.
Hey Kurt did you know you could build that 6 up to get around 270 horse out of it?? A company called Clifford Research sells lots of parts. I used to race a 194 cubic inch 6 in a 63 Nova and it was turning low 14's. Had a 4 bbl, headers, 11.1 compression and a real radical cam.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Lakeside, AZ
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

G

·
I must have had the only one made with cooling lines, some how I don't think so.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I am currently running a 350 with a PG and 10 bolt w/3.08 gears and Michael is right, with street tires on you will just break the tire loose (you should have an open rear end). 1965 Chevelle originaly had 6 cylinder.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the input guys. This is what I needed to know.

Philip: Yes, I am familiar with Clifford (and others). I actually did look into building an L6 for the car using a doner engine (gotta keep the original stock). I was thinking of something like 3 singles on an Offy intake to start with, Dual exhaust header, etc. But considering this will be a daily driver, and I will be in rush hour traffic (stop, go, stop, go really fast, stop even faster, curse, stop, go...
), I wanted something that would be less maintenance intensive, and more reliable.

Were this just a toy car, then I probably would have done something like you suggest.

Kurt

------------------
T.C. Gold #6
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Administrator
16,204 Posts
Kurt,
I see your point, you need something a little more streetable for daily use. I've been driving my sisters car with a 250/pg and I'm impressed with how well it performs.
I'm still trying to set up picking up the 400sb for my 64. The car is a friend of a friends sisters, parked at her mothers house 50 miles from my house. I think it will all be worth it, it has 86k miles on it and was parked cause the battery or starter (they don't know which) went out and nobody took the time to fix it.
Philip

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
My '67 Malibu has 40,000 original miles on it and it runs surprisingly strong. It also came stock with coolant lines from the 'glide to the radiator, unlike the 194/230 versions. The 250 version may have come with a little more than the other air-cooled versions; more like a 283/307 version. The stall would be a little different, and I'm not certain about the clutch pack. Still it has the 1.82:1 low, whereas the 327 and up versions got a 1.76:1 low.
As for how much it can take I'd say see the previous post regarding the 'glide. As for the open 10-bolt, I recall reading in Hot Rod back in '84 or something about a low mileage little old lady '69 Nova with a legit 230/TH350 with an open 3.08 10-bolt. The 230 was dumped and a 400 mouse went in, along with a radical cam and a Strip Dominator or something. Because it didn't launch violently but instead waited until higher rpm's to really rip, the thing lasted O.K. (and ran low e.t.s with high traps, don't recall the figures). Just something to think about.

G

·
How about this for PG abuse! I ran one in a 3270 pound 68 camaro, 4 link, 14/32 Firestone slicks, 5:86 gear with a air-cooled glide and a ATI 8 inch 5500 converter, 10.90 at 128 mph. I have a picture of the car on the rear bumper at Beach Bend park in KY., class run off for SS/IA. I used the trans brake on that one!

If properly built it will take all a street car on street tires can give it!

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.