Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking the car to the dyno next friday and need to get some jets together to tune it with. What size does the stock Q series mec second quickfuel come with and what do you sizes do you suggest I take with me? Also will any holley jet assortment kit it those carbs? If you can't think of anything else that would be good to take let me know.
Thanks,
Jamie

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
if the carb is stock from QF leave the jets in it that it came with.

If you see actual indications it needs a change like WBO2 readings then change it. regular Holley jets fit.

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
Go onling to quick fuel to get contact info and call them to get that info.

But i would not expect the carbs general calibration to be that far off out of the box since its already setup for perf apps other then sligh jet tweak. But that's unless maybe the motor has very low idle and or low engine speed intake vacuum due to lrg cam with a lot of duration reqiring p-valve with lower int vac rating to better deal with low engine rpm just above /out of idle circut so its not open prematurly when motor isnt under a load making it run too rich.

Also,make sure you have plenty of base timing with perf cam lke 18 deg to ensure good off idle throttle resonce and power at lower rpms below where total timig is all in.

I suggest that because sometimes the dyno tuners seem to be all about most power at WOT and dont care to properly setup your motors ign timing curve for good perf on a street motor that needs to do well in many situations like at idle & at part throttle cruise too and not just best perf @ WOT which is mistake for a perf motor that see's street duty.

With that in mind a good place to start for a decent sptreet perf ig timing curve for bbc/sbc runnig a perf cam is approx that is 18 deg base timing + 20 deg mech in dist in by approx 2600-2800rpms .

For a street motor a vac adv thats hooked to full int vac all the time & is limited to a max of 12-14 deg additional timig for 50-52 deg timing when at low load part throttle cruise is also a great help esp with perf cam in a motor that see's street duty.

Scott

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Go onling to quick fuel to get contact info and call them to get that info.

And remember,if youfind jetting needs to be changed you can only go up 1 maybe 2 sizes in prim jet before having to move up 1 step in prim meter rod too so you need to know whats in carb to get next step up in prim meter rod too in case you need it.

Thats so you keep the cruise/low load fuel calibration where it should be and if you dont move up in prim rod in that situation the cruise fuel calibration may get too rich.

Depending on your setup and how close that carb was out of the box when it comes to fuel calibration for your specific motor setup you may also need a different power piston spring and or diff sec metering rods.

But i would not expect the carbs general calibration to be that far off out of the box since its already setup for perf apps then needing a different power piston spring. But that's unless maybe the motor has very low idle and or low engine speed intake vacuum due to lrg cam with a lot of duration.

Also,make sure you have pelnty of base timing with perf cam lke 18 deg to ensure good off idle throttle resonce and power at lower rpms below where total timig is all in.

I suggest that because sometimes the dyno tuners are all about most power at WOT and dont care to properly setup your motors ign timing curve for good perf on a street motor that needs to do well in many situations like at idle 7 at part throttle cruise too and not just best perf @ WOT which is mistake for a perf motor that see's street duty too.

A good place to start for a decent sptreet perf ig timing curve for bbc/sbc runnig a perf cam is approx that is 18 deg base timing + 20 deg mech in dist in by approx 2600-2800rpms .

For a street motor a vac adv thats hooked to full int vac all the time & is limited to a max of 12-14 deg additional timig for 50-52 deg timing when at low load part throttle cruise is also a great help esp with perf cam in a motor that see's street duty.

Scott
:confused: Quickfuel is holley based carb.

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
JEEZ!!!/I JUST SAW THE " Q SERIES " STATEMENT IN HIS POST & FOR SOME REASON TOOK THAT AS A " Q-JET " AND JUST WENT FROM THERE,THANKS FOR POINTING THAT OUT,WHAT A DOUGH DOUGH BRAIN ON MY PART/ LOL !!!!!

I should have thought about more to because i know QF doesnt do q-jet setup work and are holley based.

Well ,same suggestions still hold but with a change to jetting and power valve changes for fuel calibration changes,other then that all should be the same.

But i fixed it anyway.

Thanks again,

Scott

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
JEEZ,I JUST SAW THE " Q SERIES " STATEMENT IN HIS POST & FOR SOME REASON TOOK THAT AS A Q-JET AND JUST WENT FROM THERE,THANKS FOR POINTING THAT OUT,WHAT A DOUGH DOUGH BRAIN/ LOL !!!!!

I should have thought about more to because i know QF doesnt do q-jet setup work and are holley based.

Well ,same suggestetions still hold but with a change to jetting and power valve changes for fuel calibration changes,other then that all should be the same.

But i fixed it anyway.

Thanks

Scott

Hey at least it's Friday.....Monday would be a good excuse though! LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts