Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the price of everything going up, We were having problems making ends meet. The wife and I have a weekend job Cleaning a rental hall. My kids were a bit embarrassed about dad being a janitor. We've also been bidding on landscaping jobs, low voltage cabling jobs and fixing cars for people to fill the gap. I was just wondering what if anything everyone else was doing to make up for the increased prices of everything

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
I'm curious to see the reponses of this. I'm in the same boat as you my friend. lots of money going out not a lot coming in.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I take pics for the local paper's sports of our high school. doesn't pay much but I sell pics of the kids to they're parents.

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
I make enough for us to live comfortably, so we usually cut back on the spending side if we want to save for something. It helps that we don't have any debt, other than the house, and that house is considerably less than what is considered the upper limit for our income level (in fact, I put in a request on Lending Tree for a refinance, and got back that there were no lenders willling to refinance the house, unless we borrowed an extra $30K and took it as cash :clonk: ). If I need extra money for the car I sell stuff on Ebay.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
if it isn't on sale at the supermarket we don't buy it !!!
I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd turn into my grandmother
sitting at the dinning room table with the scissors clipping coupons !!!

go on guys Laugh it up ..... Its saves my family aprox 50% !!!

·
Registered
677 Posts
I buy and sell catalytic converters, bring the scrap steel from the shop to the scrappers [scrap steel is way up right now] and do some side work on motorcycles. I also do swap meets and Ebay.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Being a professional mechanic, side jobs are a good source of extra cash. I can save a friend/ customer a bundle of money (cost on parts, break on labor) and still make a decent amount of $$ on labor. Although I don't go full bore on side jobs, I am able to supplement some of my expenses by helping other people. They save money, I earn money. It's a win/ win situation. :yes:
Note: Be careful what you bite into. Some jobs are better left to specialty shops that have the right equipment for the job.

I hear a lot of people buy and sell on e-bay. They seem to be doing great.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I make and cast resin bodies for 1/32 slot cars. Believe it or not, without pushing it, this hobby makes me around $12-15k per year. Easy, fun, and it's my hobby!

With some minor changes in my work habits, I could push this well over the 20-40k mark. No kidding. It is that crazy that folks eat this stuff up.

Besides, I get to make Chevelles every now and then :yes:

If things got crazy, the Chevelle would be finding a new home. Family first in my book.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have kind of steered away from side work because of my business venture but in the past I have done mechanical, carpentry, moving people, really anything that makes money. Whatever you get into I would agree that if you go into something real specific you could get yourself into a bind. One example is I have cut trees for people. But I generally only cut them once they are on the ground. Car work is the same way. There is enough "gravy" car work out there that you can make some decent side money without getting into something like swapping engines. Just remember that whatever you do try to do a good job at it and if you work hard at it, you can make money doing just about anything.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
In between jobs, I've scrapped a few cars. If you find enough cars to haul, it can be a very lucrative day. I've already made over $1,000 in one day hauling car bodies to the recycle yard. Just watch you don't get hammered by some greedy stiff that wants to keep all the money, like the last time I did this. Make sure you work out ALL the details for splitting up the money before you get started. I typically get between $230-300 for each car that gets scrapped. If you offer to tow junk for free, it's all yours. If you split it with people, get at least half, maybe more.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
I buy used lab equipment & parts from a few sources, and cannabalize them for in turn making good working pieces.
Then sell them on E-Bay and to repeat buyers direct.
If I have a good week - I buy more parts for the Chevelle.
It's mainly a winter hobby when the Chevelle is covered in blankets for six months.

Also drive the Zamboni at the local ice rink.

Helps supplement the day job and pays the wife's medical bills.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I do home improvement projects such as ceramic tile, hardwood flooring, painting, deck restorations, restore furniture, light electrical, and plumbing. I don't advertise, strictly word of mouth. I am always busy.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Wife hasn't worked in 2 years & we were getting by OK but it's getting real tight now. After she heals up from her surgery she says she gonna get job. I hope!!

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
I have been doing lots of electrical jobs on the side but that is ending as I am now going full out with my own company, so now it will be all legit or a few under the table cash jobs.

Jeff

·
Registered
684 Posts
A wise man (me) once said to me "Self, If you have to work a second job then you need a better first job."
I will work some overtime to make some extra money and my wife works part-time mainly because daycare costs too much. If we had to pay for daycare, she would be working for nothing.
I refinaced my mortgage at 5.0% which was a huge savings and all but one car is paid off.
Plus I don't use credit cards.
And we limit the dining out by cooking at home.
And we save money on haircuts. I haven't had one for a year...:D

·
Gold Founding Member
4,193 Posts
I buy, sell and repair old Lionel Trains and Transformers.
Also, any parts that I find from cars that I have sold in the past will get sold for extra money.

·
Registered
14,556 Posts
I do concessions at the university as a second job. Not too many hours, but its fun and all the money earned there is for the car hobby. I also pickup honda three wheelers and fix them then sell them. Yard sale/swap meets, I go and if I see something I can flip. I'll flip it. As soon as my kid is done with softball this season, We'll be putting more stuff on ebay. jim

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Truck sudafed in from Canada. I forget how many pills you need to make an ounce of "honey" but, I just move pills for nasal congestion. Oddly enough, they swiped my DL to buy the smallest pack of generic sudafed the had at RiteAide (Aid?) the other day.

Seriously though, I am doing OK except the chevelle has taken a huge back seat-- I don't even have it near me right now. And I could not even afford to fix the mouse-eaten headliner at this point, never mind if anything broke, or even cleaning and wax products..
BUT
My dad did the same (put the car in "storage") thing right about my age and his hot rod went up in an arson barn fire.

I was actually paid well as a temp worker (go figure) out of college (useless degree), but I could NEVER work that type of job setting for the rest of my life.
Plus, if I ever ended up with a family the healthcare was just plain crazy cost wise. Pay was OK I suppose, but add in health.. even for a single person.. may as well cut the wages in half! or more!

matt

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
I haven't done many side jobs in a while. I was comfortable enough with my job income that I didn't need to. Now that I've had to take a pay cut, I'll probably start doing some of those jobs offered to me. Mostly car stuff. People come to me through friends asking if I'll do a head gasket or trans swap here and there, because the shops are asking ridiculous prices. I'll start entertaining those offers at 30% off the shop rates if I see a need for it.

The wife is starting to get tired of her job now, especially with the new boss she has. Supposedly he'll be transferring out in a year or so, but I know how she feels, I've been there before. She said she'd rather go back to making less money managing a bakery like she did in the past, but I suggested we look into her own small bakery somewhere close to home. It could work with the right location. There are some high density areas that don't have anything close that I'm going to look into. :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts