Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,
I placed an order for my 454/475 horse from allchevyengines on May 25, they received my check on May 29. Joe Kettler told me that my motor should be done around June 15....now we are getting up to 5 weeks past that date. I have called a bunch of times, each time Joe tells me that "they are working on it....it should be shipped soon". I have expressed my frustration to him via email (they don't answer the phone anymore), and he just says "I'll really try to ship it this week"

What can I do about this! He made me give full payment up front since we had planned on having it done in 3 weeks. I don't want to keep bugging him or get him mad, since he has my motor still. The summer is slowly slipping away and I fear I won't even be able to drive my car this year. I would drive down there if it wasn't so far away (Hillsboro,Texas). Should I ask him to compensate me with giving me a discount or free labor/parts??? Any suggestions??

thanks
Joe

------------------
1965 Chevelle SS

[This message has been edited by fusion_ta66 (edited 07-10-2001).]

·
Registered
7 Posts
was there a written agreement as to when this should be done? If there is, simply state that you want your motor, or sue him. Five weeks past due without a good reason is B.S.

If there was nothing written, i would drive down there. a long way you say? how far is it worth to drive your car.

I hope everything comes out alright.

·
Premium Member
17,557 Posts
I would go along with nitrous-fiend, although maybe not sue him, but ask if the motor has shipped, and if not, tell him you want a complete refund (if there is a contract, etc). Either the guy can keep stringing you along, or he will rush the job to get yours out, either not being too desirable. I'd look for another engine builder...

Yoe mentioned he wanted full payment, because you wanted it in three weeks? I would be pissed...

------------------
"Once you go RAT, you never go back..."

Tony
1966 SS L78 coupe
1966 SS convertible
1965 Impala convertible
1 wife that has drawn the line...

[This message has been edited by 1966_L78 (edited 07-10-2001).]

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. Living in Minnesota makes it really difficult to drive down there. Looking back now, I really wish I would have had something in writing with this guy, however, I don't, and now I am kicking myself for it. I asked around this board and others for their experiences with this engine shop, all were positive, so I figured that I wouldn't seem like a pushy guy right off the bat and demand contracts and exact times, since he seemed like a nice guy on the phone. What p*sses me off the most is that they won't answer their phones anymore!!!!!!! The first 3-4 weeks they answered every time after a few rings. Now, no one answers, and there is no answering machine! What kind of business doesnt answer the phones and has no answering machine?? Can anyone else get ahold of this guy? 254-582-3101 That's the number...maybe he is screening the calls?? Anyways, I'm at my wits end here, and am struggling for what to do.

thanks
Joe

------------------
1965 Chevelle SS

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I will never pay anything in full without the completed job in front of me.I learned the hard way also_Once the guys paid he has no incentive to finish and you have no recourse.
Tell him you have a friend an hour or two from his shop and he's going to stop in and see him.To check out the engine of course

------------------
70 chevelle,400cid turbo400.blue with silver stripes. http://members.spree.com/entertainment/ochrisl/

[This message has been edited by 70isfine (edited 07-10-2001).]

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for trying mike,
I havent been able to get a hold of him all this week

------------------
1965 Chevelle SS

·
Registered
79 Posts
If it just started to be this week that you couldn't get a hold of him then I would guess he is on vacation. VERY popular time of year to get away for a week or so...unfortunately he is probably on vacation on your dime.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
No answer on telephone eh? No answering machine also? Well, I gotta say that I think your friend at allchevyengines is gone, gone, gone!

Sorry for your loss, but let's face the facts: he got you to send him a big pile 'o cash with nothing documented by a contract, he got you to postpone your expectations, then goes incommunicado. It is a classic story that is repeated time and time again in the performance and restoration hobby. A lot of otherwise good people with engine building or auto restoration skills think they can turn a small storefront into a big operation. Then they rudely find out that whatever skills brought them into this undertaking are not enough to create a sustainable business operation. Talk with any group of guys who have been in the automotive hobby for a length of time and many will tell you sad tales of when they got "taken for a ride".

I've been there myself

------------------
"Bomber" '67 El Camino, Beater comes back to life.
Was 350/TH350 14.90 @ 93mph, 360,000+ miles on car
Now 406 roller, 340rwhp, more hp coming, 3.08 gears
Street radials, left in drive, 13.20 [email protected] mph

·
Registered
622 Posts
Damn, sounds bad. At this point you need to be building a "case" while still trying to resolve the issue. I'd send a letter "return reciept" explaining your problems and asking their explanation. Keep a copy of everything at this point and records of phone attempts. I'd contact the Better Business Bureau in his area http://www.bbb.org/BBBComplaints/lookup.asp .
Are there any members that can go look in the windows and see what the situation is ?? I'd be getting really concerned and legalistic at this point. I'd also try not to **** him off in case the engine is forthcoming, so I'd do this legalistic stuff in a professional manner - getting ugly will NOT help.
I don't have a clue how big Hillsboro Tx is, but I have called the local police before to ask if a business still exists - in a SMALL town. They did let me know!

------------------
Make it the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/al's64elky-1
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/al's64elky-2

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
My experience is that people who do really good work, be it engine building, bodywork, or whatever, are always EXTREMELY slow and NEVER make the target date they give you. The guy who painted my Chevelle had it 6 months. But it's gorgeous. Same deal with my motor. Maybe the guy is just on vacation, you may come out of this OK. But again, my experience is that if you want the best quality work, you just have to resign yourself to the fact that it's gonna take a while. The really good shops have all the work they need or want, and pretty much work at their own pace. With engine building, it's best to try and get it done in the winter, because in the summer, all the people who are hardcore racers (and regular cusrtomers) expect to have their stuff turned around right away, and guys like us keep getting pushed to the back of the line.

------------------
Mike Newby

69 Chevelle 355/TH200-4R
97 Grand Prix GTP
64 Chevy C10 Pickup
79 Suzuki GS550

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did you use a credit card for the purchase? If you did, call your credit card company and tell them the story. They can get your money back ASAP, this is the great part of using a credit card.

Lesson to be learned, use a credit card for all purchases, especially for stuff you are buying that isn't close to where you live.

I hope all works out for you. There is no excuses for this guy to be stringing you out like this. Who doesn't have an answering machine these days?

·
Registered
659 Posts
11:38 am Eastern time, busy signal

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Same here, 9:00 am Seattle time, busy signal.
Did anyone try the operator to figure out if the number has been disconnected?

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have been contemplating on using ALLCHEVYENGINES to do an engine and trans for me. I read a lot of good stuff about them. I have talked to joe on the phone and via email a couple of times and he seemed like a nice guy, but I definitely got the impression that he was used to doing stuff his own way at his own time.

I don't think you have to worry about him trying to screw you purposefully, and he has been in business for a few years so its unlikely his business has gone belly up. I would think more likely he took too many "rush" jobs at once (which is no excuse), or maybe had something come up (death in family or home sick).

I got an email from him a week or so ago to see if I was still looking for an engine and trans. I was planning on giving him a call later this week to ask some questions. If I am able to reach him, I will be sure to let him know that I am aware of your problems and that I will be following your progress via this thread. I will also tell him that whether or not I end up doing business with him depends on how your situation turns out.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

------------------
Charles Perrell
[email protected]
65 malibu SS Convertible
283 2v powerglide

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guys,
thanks a lot on the input. I really hope that he hasnt run away with my money. I have been saving to buy this engine for a long time, and if I just lost all the money, I don't know how long it will take for me to save it again. I am trying my best as to not p*ss him off, since he still does have my money....but I did tell him that I would like an explanation. I sent him an email yesterday morning, with no response yet today. I'll try and keep you guys posted....

thanks again
Joe

btw: cperrell, thanks in advance if you do talk to him about my situation

------------------
1965 Chevelle SS

[This message has been edited by fusion_ta66 (edited 07-11-2001).]

·
Registered
28 Posts
The guy has time to solicit new business, yet doesn't have time to respond to a customer that has paid in full and was due his engine over 3 weeks ago?!!!!

That should be enough information needed to go to another engine builder.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
What's his physical address? He's about 70 miles away from me. I can't promise that I can even make it down there, but let me know where he is just in case I find myself with some extra time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
fusion_ta66,

I'm trully sorry to hear of your situation. I purchased my 500HP 454 from them a few months back and it was completed within a week of the time Joe first told me. Dont worry, I'm sure this is just a minor SNAFU, I dont think your getting screwed over. I talked with Joe K. on numerous occaisions and he always seemed very friendly and willing to help, and also my motor turned out just as I expected, no problems.

The phone number I have for All Chevy Engines is (254)582-3101

The address is:
All Chevy Engines
1513 Hwy 77N
Hillsboro, TX 76645

About them not answering their phones, I also found that they wouldnt answer sometimes for one reason or another, (I believe their phone is in the engine shop itself) but if you keep trying you will eventually get someone. 90% of the time Joe himself will answer the phone.

Hope you get everything straightened out soon, I dont believe its as bad as ya think.

------------------
Joe Scott
70 Chevelle Malibu 454/2004R
White w/black bucket seat
interior

My Chevelle Page

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.