Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a complete rebuild, what sealents / glues should be used and where. Please help and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Permatex-hard setting, Freeze plugs.
Copper Coat,Head gaskets, Unless otherwise specified.
Teflon Tape, Pipe threads.
Ultra-Blue, All other.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model, 69 Chevelle coupe
70 El Camino,71 SS Camaro
75 L-82 Corvette,71 Gremlin X
Kerrville,Tx.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I prefer to use 3M weatherstriping adhesive on all pan and cover gaskets. The gasket stays with the cover and makes removal easier. The other side a light coating of silicon.
I try not to use anything on head gaskets or intake gaskets. They were not designed for anything other than a clean, smooth surface.

------------------

·
Registered
100 Posts
Harley's got it. The only thing I would do different is use permatex Non-Hardening sealer in place of unltra blue on oil pan gasket and a little of that to hold intake gaskets in place. But the ultra blue on timing cover and other stuff it good.

------------------
66 Big-Block Chevelle Houston, TX ACES#3321

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
I usually use permatex non hardening #2 on most gaskets (oil pan, timing cover, thermostat, etc) the only permatex blue I use is on the corners of the rear main seal, front of oil pan where timing cover hits, rear oil pan rubber gasket, and on the ends of the intake manifold in place of the rubber gaskets. Also use permatex #2 on freeze plugs and head bolts to seal the threads. If intake and head gaskets arent permatorque type, I use permatex high tack spray sealant on them unless mfg says to install them dry. Have had great success with these sealants.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.