Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to convert my t400 car to tk600.....would you buy the complete kit or get the parts for the conversion bellhousing, pedals, linkage etc seperate and just buy the tk600 and drive shaft new.....just want some opinions here......I dont mind modifying a car but like to make it look like it came that way from the factory so let me know your thoughts thanks.....

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
I just installed a TKO600 in my 64. I bought the Perfect Fit kit from Keisler. I got lucky and didn't have to do any cutting on the floor, some do, some don't. Mine came up through the shifter hole better than a Muncie with Hurst shifter.

Whether or not you buy the auto to manual conversion stuff from whomever you choose to supply your trans is up to you. Do you have any luck scrounging swap meets, backyards or friends garages? If not, and you're going to have to pay full price for said items anyway, you might as well buy them with the kit.

Devin

·
Registered
802 Posts
I would try to find out how others with the same model year car have faired with the kit and without. Who has bought the kit and how it worked out and who has not bought the kit and how did that turn out. I probably would end up just buying the kit, less guess work and trying to make "things" work.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
If its not a numbers matching SS I wouldn't worry about it. If it is and bone stock and looks show room I wouldn't. If its somewhere between I'd think about it but would probably go for it.:yes:

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Good morning guys! You can source all the stock type components for your swap on your own if you wish, everything will be compatible. I would recommend minimally the TKO, new pilot bearing, slip yoke, isolator mount and speedometer cable/gear. You didn`t indicate the year so you may consider our ClassicFit shifter as well.

You can save some money sometimes by sourcing your swap parts used. If you don`t have a bellhousing I would highly recommend ours (of course right?). We cast our bells right here in the U.S. and they have a 50% thicker wall than the original GM 621 casting.

We have discounts for forum members and will have a little something extra special going Tuesday only if you want to save some cash. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I just installed a TKO600 in my 64. I bought the Perfect Fit kit from Keisler. I got lucky and didn't have to do any cutting on the floor, some do, some don't. Mine came up through the shifter hole better than a Muncie with Hurst shifter.

Whether or not you buy the auto to manual conversion stuff from whomever you choose to supply your trans is up to you. Do you have any luck scrounging swap meets, backyards or friends garages? If not, and you're going to have to pay full price for said items anyway, you might as well buy them with the kit.

Devin
Awesome! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with our PerfectFit. :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replys.....I am definately going to do this I was just concerned on how correct the pedals, linkages, etc. were and whether it was worth it to pic up used parts or just go with their stuff......thanks also for your input Jeff how much of a discount do forum members get??? by the way the car is a 68...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts