Team Chevelle banner

What rear end do i have? 71 chevelle

307 Views 5 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  1967LSxChevelle
Trying to figure out what rear end i have. The guy i bought the car from didnt know much. Only stated there was 3.73 gears in the rear. Is it the 8.2 or 8.5 10 bolt? How can i tell without removing the cover and spilling gear oil everywhere?
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Hood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Rim Automotive design

Wood Auto part Helmet Close-up Metal

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Rim Automotive design
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Hood
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Lots of details here:

and

Looks like a 10 bolt to me however you didn't show a pic of the axle tube codes. Check out the links.

· Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
2,712 Posts
If you have posi traction, chock front tires, put car in neutral, disengage parking brake, jack both rear tires off the ground, mark pinion and bottom of tire. Rotate tire 1 time while counting how many times the pinion turns, if 3 3/4 turns, you have 3.73s.

If open diff, chock front tires, put car in neutral, disengage parking brake, jack 1 tire off ground, mark pinion and raised tire, rotate tire 2 times and count pinion turns. If 3.73 pinion will turn 3 3/4 turns.

· Registered
1967 Chevelle, daily driver, LM7 5.3 swap.
37 Posts
It’s an 8.2. Most 8.5s have cast in lugs at 5 and 7 o’clock. Another easy way to tell is by the pinion nut size. If it takes a 1.125” socket, it’s an 8.2. If it takes a 1.25” socket, it’s an 8.5.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts