Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn on my headlights, the right blinker indicator comes on solid. All the blinkers are working but the right side flashes more slowly than the left. Do I need more blinker fluid on that side?

2 problems I know of are left side outer headlight highbeam bulb is out. Lower left speedo illumination light is diconnected. Niether of those would seem to me to be what I'm being warned about.

Tim.

------------------
Proud Owner: '69 Chevelle
Malibu: 454, Richie 5, 3.36 open dif. ???

FS: TH-400 longtail 0 miles
BB Hooker Comp truck headers
350 needs a rebuild
SB Dynomax headers

"ALL YOUR RICE ARE BELONG TO US!"

Chevelle page

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was the parking light that was out. I went to check it out. Removed the whole light assembly...said "hmmm", then put it all back together so I'd at least have my blinker and everything worked. I'd say it was a poor ground but why did the blinker work and not the parking light?

Oh well. Works now.

Tim.

------------------
Proud Owner: '69 Chevelle
Malibu: 454, Richie 5, 3.36 open dif. ???

FS: TH-400 longtail 0 miles
BB Hooker Comp truck headers
350 needs a rebuild
SB Dynomax headers

"ALL YOUR RICE ARE BELONG TO US!"

Chevelle page

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
"hmmm", then put it all back together so I'd at least have my blinker and everything worked. I'd say it was a poor ground"

"Hmmm" is a good temporary fix. Try cleaning everything up and maybe it will stay away.

"but why did the blinker work and not the parking light?"

I'll try but sometimes this doesn't come across in words too well. Part of the reason is the 1157 light bulb of the turn signal/running light. While the 2 filaments aren't the same they are both tied together on the common ground post. When that ground is missing the bulb can work if it finds ground and the voltage drop is small.
Think of light bulbs as very small resistors because that's what they are. If you look at a schematic, you will see that the two front running lights are tied together by the 12 volt line that turns them on. If the left light bulb ground is lifted, the turn signal lamp needs a ground to work. It finds one through the left running lamp filament (small resistor), through the running lamp 12 volt wire (It's just a wire if the light switch is off, no power), through the right lamp filament (small resistor), to the right 1157 ground.
Because the filaments are different, the running lamp filament has a harder time finding its way to ground.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts