Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where does the power for the cluster light fuse come from?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
It comes from the rheostat on the headlight switch. (The dimmer thingy). Do you have tail lights or running lights. The same input for the dash lights runs the tail lights.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just checked and the tail lights are not turning on when I hit my head lights. What does this indicate?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Re-check the tail light fuse. Clean up the fuse clips real well. If you see 12 volts on both sides of the tail light fuse, then it disappears as you turn on the lights, this indicates a bad connection. Also try a new clean tail light fuse. It's outsides may also be crappy looking.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
checked fuses. The very small fuse has power to it every once in a while. The fuse the goes to the tail lights has power to it all of the time. I checked my tail light harness and the brown wire has power to it when I flip my headlight switch on. It has no power when i turn it off. Is it possible that I just blew the bulbs to all of my tail light bulbs?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The "Tail light" fuse powers not only the rear lights but also the front running lights and the side markers. Maybe see what is happening there. Unless that circuit powers the running light bulbs, you won't be able to get the dash lights to work.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are all of the symptoms of my car ...
1) There is no power to the small fuse in the fuse panel.

2) The only lights that are not coming on are the brake lights and the speedometer lights.

·
Administrator
16,203 Posts
The large tail light fuse also delivers power to the smaller instrument panel fuse.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is power coming out of the green wire of the headlight switch.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The green wire goes to only one place: 1 side of the short fuse. The gray wire (output side) goes to the other fuse clip.
Scratch the fuse clips and "bite" your meter probe into them. The green wire may have a problem behind the fuse block, but still betting on dirty fuse clips.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
could that also be the reason that no power is getting to my brake button switch?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by ratmriot:
could that also be the reason that no power is getting to my brake button switch?
Fixing the dash lights won't fix a problem with the brakes, if that's the question.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Messed around with the car tonite. Found that the only light that works on the dash is the bulb behind the gear indicator. I used a dremel on the fuse contacts today and behold. The fuse lit up. However the dash lights are still not coming on. Any ideas yet?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So far I have got power to the fuse from green wire. Now I just have to find out if there is power to the cluster bulbs and that they have a good ground correct? :confused:

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
On the left dash bulb, behind the cluster, that bulb has two wires in it. Should have a gray and a black. Gray comes from the dash lamp fuse.
It comes out of the cluster with a quarter-twist. See if you have power to that bulb. If the bulb looks like it has a sprayed siver material inside, it's bad.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
figured it out. LOOSE BULB SOCKET WIRE!!! Thanx for all the help and patience john.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts