Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the reference info on converting a ext regulator to a internal. So what hardware do I need besides the bracket thats visible on top? Longer water pump bolts maybe? What year do I specify for the brackets? The car is a 66ss. What other nuts and bolts will be necessary? What belt?

Thanks, Chris R.

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Chris
You will need a new plug in connector. That is the one that has 2 wires coming out of it and plugs into the back of the alternator. Many auto parts stores carry this item. The contacts of the one you need rae arranged like this -- you old one is like this =.

------------------
Rick (Abilene Texas)
72 El Camino
TPI 350/700r4
Aces #00140
TEAM CHEVELLE #00038

·
Registered
423 Posts
Chris;

It's not an easy question to answer due to their being several different possible configurations! Long or short water pump? Alternator on drivers side or passengers?

The big thing is that if you already have any alternator currently mounted (and it's aligned correctly), it's pretty much a direct "bolt-on" swap. You may have to play tricks with "spacers" (a bunch of washers). And don't forget that metric bolt noted in the "techref" if doing a "CS".

I would recommend that you get the new alternator mounted and the belt installed BEFORE you make any changes to the wiring. That way, if you run into a problem, you can always put back the old alternator while figuring out the solution.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference & Wagons sections
Gold Member #5

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.