Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, every few days the battery in my car will keep dying, I cannot figure out what it is, had the alternator checked it was fine, it is giving the proper readings at the alternator and the posts of the battery, had voltage regulator checked, it was bad, replaced it, problem still persisted, did a test, battery would read 12.4 at the posts then when I went to crank over the motor it dropped down to 5! Thought the starter solenoid might be bad, put in new starter, thought I had success (it started the day after I put it in which was longest it had ever lasted since this problem arose), just went to fire it up and see if it still worked, and NOTHING the starter wouldnt even make the click noise, BUT all of the lights works, directionals, headlights, dash lights, glove box light), soooo....? Can someone help me out here this is really starting to get to me!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Neal,
It takes 10-15amps to run the headlights. It takes 150-250 amps to run a starter motor. Let's start from the top. With the engine running at about 2000 rpm make sure your charging voltage is 14-14.5 volts. Also with the engine running at the same speed, turn everything on(heater,wipers,healights,etc.). Your voltage should not drop below 12.5 volts. If it does, your alternator is too small. If that checks out OK, shut the engine down. dissconnect the neg. battery cable and hook a test light in series. The probe of the test light on the battery post, and the clamp end of the test light on the neg. battery cable. With everything off and all the doors closed and the hood light dissconnected, the test light should NOT be on. If it's not on, open the door and the lamp should light up to show you the draw if you have the test light properly hooked up. If the light is off, and there's no draw, the only thing left is the battery. If everything I described above checks out, that's all it CAN be. Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If there is a draw, how do I go about tracking down whatever is draining the battery? I may have also gotten a bad starter, I was told to try and push start it, if it wont push start then its the starter or the the coil? Is that true?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Try jump starting it with another car. If it starts with a jump, it's more likely the battery. If you push it, and it starts, that doesn't mean you starters bad, it more than likely means your battery is to weak to start the car. If you can't jump start it because of where the car is, get a good known battery and hook the jumper cables to it or disconnect your battery totally, and hook the jumper cables directly to you car's battery cables. If it starts, it's the battery and not the starter. But before you can check for a draw, you have to have a good properly charged battery. I think your problem has a simple solution Neal, the battery. How old is the battery?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The battery was bought in October when I first started having this problem, but it was the economy $30 deal, and plus it has been run dead and recharged and jump started so many times because of this problem.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
You ned to also verify that the battery isn't the problem. Just because it is only a few months old doesn't mean a thing. I had very similar problem with a new $100.00 battery in my Corvette. Bottom line is it turned out that the new battery was bad.

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

1 - 6 of 6 Posts