Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now in my 1972 LT1 Chevelle, I have a 2.5 inch exhaust with DynoMax SuperTurbo's on it. It has a good sound, but I'm looking for something a little deeper and louder. I'm looking at Flowmater Deltas, or original 2 or 3 chambers, Dynomax Ultra Flow, and Edelbrocks. What do you suggest to get for that deep sound. I want something a little louder, but nothin obnoxious like a glasspack. A cackle every now and then would be nice too :). Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well, if you really are lookin for loud, I have 2-chamber Flows with cut-offs and turndowns and I have 1 word for you. Loud.

I've been pulled over a few times for it. If you don't want to spend $ on new mufflers, then I'd recommend cut-offs and turn-downs...you'll get your throaty rumble--Amanda

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sound like you and I are looking for the same thing,
I have the super turbos on my pick up , and I like them, but I want something a little throatier for my 72 SS also. Im thinking of going with a set of ultra flowsI heard they were supposed to be pretty god also. But I havent Heard any yet.
Jeff.

·
Registered
336 Posts
listen to CA elky she knows what shes talking about.

i too have headers, and dual exhaust going to flowmasters with nothing but turn downs after the muffler and beleive me it sounds burley. one of my favorite tricks is to notify my g/f that i have arrived by driving a little too close to any of the parked & alarmed cars around her house.. and a packed parking lot, say at the mall, forget it! alarms go off guaranteed, whether looking for a spot, or just starting the beast up when you're about to leave..

in other words i really recommend flowmasters.. granted ive never heard the super-turbos or anything like that but you really cant beat a good flowmaster. as for the particular model that i run, im not sure but i could probably find out if anyone is interested..

mike

pic of what im talking about @ http://radon.mit.edu/~mike/elcamino/10bolt256rear.jpg

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Before you buy anythin, listen to a car with the Allied Mean Streak 3. I had them on my 70 SS396 with Headman headers and 2 3/4 inch exhaust.

They are nice at freeway speeds without that flowmaster scream but are sharp and throaty in town. When we all go to shows I am the one that gets the looks when we start up.

------------------
Chuck
[email protected]

·
Registered
127 Posts
I can't speak for anyones taste in sound,but I can give my 2 cents worth. To me turn downs are very noisy and inside the car the noise isa low droning noise (sort of a vibration that you hear). The noise outside the car with turndowns sounds like it is coming from under the car and also has that vibration sound. Unless you are running a really built engine or a big cam that gives more of a lump in the exhaust note you might be disapointed with turn downs. I am of the opinion that if you have a mild built street engine and you want it to sound more healthy than it is (and who does'nt)go with a set of flow masters and tail pipes out the rear. Look at the way the SS cars are done the tail pipe points strait out from the bumper and not down. Some times the General had some small ideas that work very nicely on any car. Try it and if you don't like it you can turn them down at the bumper and if you want more you can remove the tail pipe and then turn it down from the muffler. I think you will get the sound that you are looking for. You did not say if have headers. If not and you are inclined to buy some they will wake up your currewnt systems noise, you may want to try them first.

------------------
CRUISER

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.