Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 4 locks:
1. Door
2. Ign
3. Glove Box
4. Trunk

I have 2 keys.

1 key fits: Door, Ign, Glove Box.
the other key fits the trunk.

The problem is the glove box isn't keyed the same. It fits, but doesn't line up the pins/plates.

Should the door/ign key work the glove box ?

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
It depends on what is original and what is aftermarket.

I believe that originally there were 2 keys. Ign, glove box were on 1. Door and trunk on the other. If any parts were replaced, there could be more. I replaced door skins and rear valance panel. Due to manufacturing reasons, my trunk is one key, my doors are a different key, and ign is yet another key. Kind of dumb if you ask me, but when you deal with aftermarket, you have to work around their mistakes at making incorrect parts that fit multiple years to make most profit.

My trunk key works my glove box. BUT, the key set that works the doors also worked the glove box, but that key was not tabbed correctly to work the trunk. Its so much fun!!!!

·
Registered
14,987 Posts
My lock kit, the doors and ign.
Trunk was different, I forget what key is suppose to go to the glove box. Can't get the lock off so I have installed it yet. Jim

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I have 1 key for my 1967 El Camino, it works doors, ignition and glove box.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,049 Posts
OK if it's an original set of locks and keys it works like this.The doors and ignition are on the octagon key.Then the trunk and glove box are on the oval or rounded key.That's the way my 67 Pontiac Lemans,66 Chevelle SS, and my 66 Impala were.
I owned that 67 Lemans in 1974/1975 and Chinese replacement parts weren't even a thought at that time. :mad:

Reactions: davewho1

·
Registered
982 Posts
OK if it's an original set of locks and keys it works like this.The doors and ignition are on the octagon key.Then the trunk and glove box are on the oval or rounded key.That's the way my 67 Pontiac Lemans,66 Chevelle SS, and my 66 Impala were.
I owned that 67 Lemans in 1974/1975 and Chinese replacement parts weren't even a thought at that time. :mad:
^^^^^ This.
IDK if they did it back then, but based on Valet Parking They could unlock or lock your doors and start it. But could not look in your glove box or trunk.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! That actually explains why mine don't match. I never had the keys and never had a trunk lock. I had the ign key made and it worked on the doors. So I don't have a glove box key because the truck key/lock was a replacement.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I'm the second owner of my 66. The Doors and Ignition are the same. The Trunk is a different key. Glove box does not have a lock. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'm the second owner of my 66. The Doors and Ignition are the same. The Trunk is a different key. Glove box does not have a lock. I hope this helps.
No lock/key for your glove box? I've never seen that on a '66. :frown2:

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
To bad no one has a owners manual to check. The ign and door locks are the same and trunk and glove box is the other

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
You can remove the glove box lock cylinder and have it re keyed to match your trunk key. My parts guys at my Chev Dealer use to do this all the time. I had 3 keys for my 69' Chevelle and narrowed it back down to 2 by re keying the Glove box to match the trunk.

·
Premium Member
9,049 Posts

Yes but it has a "Light"...... :)
No key but it has a light ? sounds like the PO may have done some modifying.What yr/model do you have ?

To bad no one has a owners manual to check. The ign and door locks are the same and trunk and glove box is the other
I might have an owners manual to look at it's either a 67 or a 71 but it's an Oldsmobile.
I do have the OE owners manual for my 71 ElCamino.
The 71 EC has both OE keys and the squared off ignition key also works the doors and the rounded "trunk" key also fits the glove box lock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts