Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been trying to get some advice on how best to get my 468 through the lights with a 4:88 gear, everyone has told me either get 32inch tall tires or a different gear. okay point taken. but wondering what in the hay is a perfect application for such a gear. i mean, why were these gears placed in a production car? i was told by the guy i bought the rear end from that it came from a 68 camaro? if true what gives?

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
My coupe with a big block and 32" tall tires went through the lights at 7400 normally. With a shorter tire it will be more. Give me your specs and let me calculate it out.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Those gears would have been special order to be installed in a new Chevy. I believe Olds had an optional 5.00 gear set. Thats pure overkill. You'll be much happier with a 4.10 gear set for most 1/4 mile applications. RPM kills parts.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
71rat, nothing wrong with 4.88 gears when you have the rpm's to burn. Most of the street cars that I've known to run 4.88 gears had 7,000+ rpm solid lifter engines. Nowdays we know how to make massive hp without revving to the moon, which then relegates 4.88's to the stoplight grad prix.

Are you having trouble finding suitable 32" tires? (I think I was one of the people suggesting that as an inexpensive way to deal with gears that are inappropriate for the engine's rpm capability).

Thomas

------------------
"Bomber" '67 El Camino, Beater comes back to life.
Was 350/TH350 14.90 @ 93mph, 360,000+ miles on car
Now 406 roller, 340rwhp, more hp coming, 3.08 gears
Street radials, left in drive, 13.20 [email protected] mph
8/1/01 added Plum Mist '67 to collection
*New* 468 on its way - going Big Block!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I'm not sure a 32" tire will fit under a 71 chevelle.

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
What is in the 468? I ran 4.88s in my super street car with 32 in tires and a 468 it really wasn't enough gear but it ran the index and 133mph. If you have a mild 468 4.88s flat won't work it will run out of rpm and useable parts before the end of the quarter mile.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.