Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iam looking for the best looking tire size to put on my 70ss. I was considering 255/60/15 front/rear but a friend at a car show said that his 245/60/15 front rub under the fender. (looking for the best look)

·
Registered
166 Posts
With a proper wheel backspacing, you can easily fit 255's on all 4 corners. My SS has 255's on the front and 275's on the back. I dunno my backspacing, someone gave me a set of rims off an M5 and they just happened to fit perfectly... Too bad they're all beat up.

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Columbia University
New York, NY.
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
23 Posts
I use 245/60-15 BFG radials mounted on 15x8 Vette Rallys at all corners. Car is a 69 with no suspension mods and there's no rubbing on the front at all. I'm not sure about the wheels' backspacing, they were manufactured by Kelsey-Hayes. I'm guessing 4.25" or 4.50". At any rate, the car has an agressive stance and I'm very pleased with how it looks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've got 245/60R14's on 14X7 SS wheels on the front and 275/60R15's drag radials on 15X8 SS wheels on the back of my '70SS. Can't tell a difference between front and back wheel size when looking at it from the side. I do believe I could have went with the wider 295's on the back (I like the "old fashioned" muscle car look with the back end jacked up and big back tires).

·
Registered
31 Posts
it all really depends on what type of look you are going for... I think the drag-racer look is really nice. On my 69 I have 205's in the front and 295's in the back. It looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
648 Posts
i'm looking into the same issue for my 69. i saw another 69 at a car show and it was fitted with 275x60 on 15x8" in the rear and 225x70 on 15x7" on the front. looked very good. i don't know if there's a down side (handeling wise) to the different heights or rim size but it sure looked good. john

·
Lifetime Founding Member
1,960 Posts
Hey Ryankey? If you dont mind my asking what size wheels and what backspacing are you running on your 69? I also have a 69 and was thinking of 295/50-15 on a 15x10 wheel with 5" backspacing ,but I dont know if they will clear without rubbing ? or without jacking the car to the sky?
any help?
Thanks T.C.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.