Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Behind the back seat of my 72 convt. there is a strange item. It is a oblong housing hollow inside capped on top bolted to the sub floor approx, 12" high 8"wide 1.5" deep.
It goes to nothing that I know of. Any Ideas????

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Rick, Go under the car and see if it is connected to the gas tank. It is, I believe a fuel vapor separator, part of the emissions system. I had one on my 72 Lemans and thats what the owners manual said it was and it should be connected to the gas tank.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay it's actually only 5"wide x 10"ht X 1.25"deep and I double checked no lines or wires of any type are connected to it. What or how did it work with the vapor system in your pontiac??

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Well Rick, In ever looked at it myself, I took the owmers manual for its word and since I don't have it anymore I'll have to look under my brother-in-law's car to see if it has that and if it is hooked to anything. He has a 72 Chevelle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the same box in the rear of my 71SS. Until now i never realy paid any attention to it.

However, looking over the assembly manual it is a Separator Asm (assembly?). Four hoses attach to this device, two from the outer pipe on the gas tank, one from the center, and a vapor pipe that runs to the forward section of the car, exactly where i am not sure.

[This message has been edited by Radd (edited 04-28-99).]

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Radd, Look at my first post. I explained what it is in that post. The line to the front goes to a charcoal cannister mounted on the core support on the left,next to the radiator.

[This message has been edited by chev64 (edited 04-28-99).]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can the separator be eliminated by pluging the 3 lines in the gas tank and using only the fuel and return lines or does the tank need to vent. My car no longer has the canister.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Jeff's site and Chevelle are quality pieces of work. I highly recommend any going and visiting his site!
Fred

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.