Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting a 427 in my '67 which all orig except the motor ( original lasted a year after car was bought). I bought ( over 20 years ago) a 427 out of a '67 Corvette. Shortblock only. Thank God a friend of mine bought it from me, sold it and bought it back 5 years ago. And now he's going with a monster BBC, he sold the longblock to me. It no longer uses the original '67 block ( although I have it. I had it decked during a blueprint process so no numbers remain). All the '67 bottom end is intact and a set of early open chambered alum heads is on top ( the ones with the O exhaust). Now, I know it's not original, but what should I call this '67 motor in my '67 Chevelle. Is it an L89, an L71. Damn, I should've used the L88 intake and called it a '68 88 and been done with it! I am planning on running the trpower setup. I think my setup is similar to the L71 67-68 427 used in vettes. What would you call this beast? During the next rebuild, I was planning on having the numbers put back on the original '67 block and running it again ( it needs to go .060 over)just to have a '67 block in the car.

Hey, maybe I can take the car down to that place in Tarpon Springs and BS that it's original and sell it for 25 grand! Just kidding. I don't intend to BS anyone about my car, and I'll probably never sell it. But what is it, L71? Is it worth using the orignal '67 block during the next rebuild? The car is, for sure, a "38" SS396.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 05-27-99).]

·
Registered
246 Posts
Gene,

I am confused. You have an original 427 Corvette engine that does not use the original block - is that correct? And the original block doesn't have the ID stamp? I'd say you have a 427 - that's all. My 427 is an L71 (with ID) from a 68 Vette - big deal - it's just a 427 and I really don't think anyone really cares where it came from. If it was a ZL-1 or L-88 then it might give it some notoriety but not the kind it would if it was wrapped in fiberglass.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kevin, yeah I know, it probably doesn't matter but other than calling this motor "Rat Sass" I wanted to know which 67-68 configuration it was closest to. During the last rebuild, my friend chose to use a fresh .030 over '73 454 block, rather than go 60 over with the original '67 block. Unfortunately, I built the motor ( in '76 ) using Chevy factory L88 specs which were real loose ( like .0085-.010 skirt clearance.)The bottom end has all the L88 goodies, shotpeened rods, boron 7/16" bolts, nitrided crank, etc. I just thought someone familiar with all this nomenclature BS could tell me what kind of aluminum-headed 427 you could have put into a Chevelle in 1968 when the original 396 blew up. By the way, I had no idea of "numbers" when I rebuilt the 427 the first time in '76. I had the deck cleaned up as part of a general blueprinting( deck, align bore and rebore true cyl bore to crank centerline)and the decking wiped the numbers off the front pad. A bunch of guys here have already offerred to restamp the block, so I know I'm dealing with BS now.

By the way, my assembly manual shows a tri-power "discontinued" in 1967, but I assume this would've been a tripower on a 396.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 05-27-99).]

·
Registered
246 Posts
Gene,

I believe that tri-power was installed on 427s-only from 67-69. Tri-power and A/C could only be had with oval port hydraulic cammed cars (390 or 400 HP).

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My manifold is a rect port and I know they came on rect port vettes from 68-69. I guess it just doesn't matter. I'm under the impression I've put together something similar to an L89 435 HP 427.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I know what you are getting at. I think I would call it a L-71 if it were me.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plain69, that's what I thought until a Corvette shop told me , no it would be an L89 due to the alum heads. L71 it is. One of these days when I hit the lottery I'll pick up a new Zl-1 for 5G's and eliminate all ambiguity!

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 05-28-99).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.