Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a 67 396 Chevelle that I am in the process of getting running after it sat for 16 years. My mother bought the car new, then my brother drove it and parked it after doing a bunch of things to it such as putting on an Edelbrock RPM intake manifold and converting it to a long water pump and passenger side alternator. Well, I have spent a lot of time putting the car back correct, but I have his a bit of a snag with the driver's side alternator placement and the Edelbrock manifold. Is there a factory'esqe upper bracket that will work with that manifold? I have the factory bracket but the hole is off quite a bit. I'm sure this has been covered, but I couldn't find an answer in the search. Thanks!

·
Registered
Evening Orchid 65 Malibu SS
115 Posts
Hey all, I have a 67 396 Chevelle that I am in the process of getting running after it sat for 16 years. My mother bought the car new, then my brother drove it and parked it after doing a bunch of things to it such as putting on an Edelbrock RPM intake manifold and converting it to a long water pump and passenger side alternator. Well, I have spent a lot of time putting the car back correct, but I have his a bit of a snag with the driver's side alternator placement and the Edelbrock manifold. Is there a factory'esqe upper bracket that will work with that manifold? I have the factory bracket but the hole is off quite a bit. I'm sure this has been covered, but I couldn't find an answer in the search. Thanks!
When I ran an Edelbrock I took a new reproduction bracket and ground off the bottom left bolt hole to make it work, using only the other bolts for mounting. I wouldn't deface an original bracket though.

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
When I ran an Edelbrock I took a new reproduction bracket and ground off the bottom left bolt hole to make it work, using only the other bolts for mounting. I wouldn't deface an original bracket though.
I had the same issue with a stock bracket on a Performer RPM intake. I elongated the mounting holes on the bracket just enough so it would bolt up, I guess I was lucky, the slot for the alternator bolt lined up perfectly.

·
Premium Member
7,271 Posts
I had to modify my bracket with RPM airgap intake I bought a cheap chrome trd modified blasted and powder coated black. Thickness seems to be close to same as oem.
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/trd-9581
Welded on a piece of flat steel and filled the upper mounting hole that sits in the intake with the welder, grinded flat marked and drilled a new hole in the correct spot. Maybe 20 min job total.

·
Registered
6,356 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,712 Posts
same here Dan. I couldnt run the stock bracket with the tripower I ve been using for the last 15 years, and when the new engine arrived from Colorado Springs ( Votrtecpro), the darn GMPP manifold had its hole 1/2" off from where the oem bracket has its, so, I elongated BOTH the lower hole 1/4" and the upper hole 1/4" to make it work.

The geometry, or belt alignment , still seems spot on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since you say it has been converted to long water pump with alternator on passenger's side, most any 69-72 big block alternator bracket should work if there is a threaded hole in the front of the passenger's side head.
It was that way when I put the car in my garage, however I converted it back to a short pump and back to the driver's side.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the all the info, I will most likely buy a stock appearing re-pop and see if I can modify it to work. My brother sold off the original intake about a decade ago so switching back isn't really an option. (If I could only go back in time.....)

Dan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts