Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the size and description of a dash speaker for a 1967 Chevelle?

And where can one buy a speaker to fit? I wouldn't mind one with a little better sound than the original.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I will check in my garage tomorrow ... I took my front dash speaker out and it replaced it with 2 4 in coax speakers adapted together. I rigged a bracket for them. I will send you the measurements tomorrow if no one has posted by then...It is currently 11:30 PM where I am ... I am also running 2 6x9's in the rear package area. I am "hiding" an Alpine CD in the glove box ... I have a USA-1 cassette unit in the dash, but I don't use the USA-1 unit because it performed poorly. It was actually in the car ( a 67 SS 396 4spd buckets air tilt steering pb ps ... ) when I bought it 2 yrs ago. I left the usa-a unit in dash for cosmetic reasons ...

·
Registered
221 Posts
the speaker is integrated into a housing bracket measuring approximately 10 3/8 by 4 3/4 inches. As previously stated, I use 2 coax 4 in speakers I apapted for front channels of stereo hook-up. If you are looking for a single speaker hook-up, you can probably use a 4 x 10 here ...

·
Premium Member
27,718 Posts
The original dash speaker from my '67 Malibu was just returned from being reconditioned thru Year One. It sits in a box in my garage.
I'll take a picture of it and the mounting bracket and post it here if that will help you.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, that would help. By the way, what does reconditioning a speaker cost by the time you include shipping both ways?

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Northern...After Bill posts a pic, I will know for sure, but I think I have a NOS one that I bought off ebay. I don't need it. If you do,let me know.

·
Premium Member
27,718 Posts
Sorry for the delay...almost forgot!

If I remember correctly, cost was around $50 to recondition this speaker which is a 4"x10".
Remember, if using the original Chevelle radio, you must use a 10 ohm speaker.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Northern...The one I have is not identical to the pic. It has different numbers also. numbers are 1224267...0-81-4-0. The stamped holes are different.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks TDW. I took the radio out -- it turns out that it does not work either. The case is rusty and it might be better to look for a different radio than to try and fix this one.

So I guess I need both a radio and speaker. Maybe I'll find a radio with a matched speaker. There was one on eBay recently, and maybe I'll manage to find a set as well. I'll let you know if I can use the speaker.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts