Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my 65 ready for a headliner install(at the upolstery shop). It came to me pretty blown apart so i'm not sure what goes where. And want to be sure I have everything in its right place before taking it to them.

Does the headliner glue to the metal bar(1"x5"x 1/8") that is held in two places by screws?

I also have several cardboard pieces(not the earmuffs): one set is about 7" long and 1.5" wide with two elongated holes. The other two are a softer cardboard that are almost the size of the earm muffs and they have 4 1" holes in them.Do these some how attach to the muffs or the sheetmetal? I see a coulple of pushin type retainers still on the sheetmetal. How do the muffs attach?

Are there any books that go into this type of detail?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

·
Registered
166 Posts
The two cardboard pieces that are bout 1.5" wide are tacked to the earmuff boards. The two elongated holes are for the pushin retainers that are still attatched to the metal bar. They attatch just like the ones in the door panels by sliding into the elongated holes and pushed into the metal bar.

I believe the "softer" cardboard is what was used as an insulator material that was tacked to the metal with glue.

I just had the headliner in my 65 done last week. Looks great.
Good Luck
Tim

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well, I stepped out to take a look at my car (this stuff is apart), and when I got back the question was answered already. Mine (a 4-dr sedan) is basically as Tim says. One thing is that the headliner is glued to the metal strip which is screwed to the body. Then the push-in thingies go into the body below this. The sail panel extends over the metal strip, so the glued part is hidden. Have fun. --- Carl

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Carl and Tim,

Thanks for the info guys!

It's kinda tough rebuilding this baby, when I'm not the one that pulled it apart.

Do the sailplanes get glued or get stapled to that 1.5" piece?

Bill

·
Registered
162 Posts
The 1.5" cardboard strip is glued to the sail panel. Mine are in pretty rough shape. I have some new sail panels which came with some velcro thingies that I'm going to try instead of the push-in thingies. Have you talked this stuff over with your upholstry shop, and are you having your sail panels recovered with headliner material? They should be able to provide you with some useful advice too. --- Carl

[This message has been edited by Carl Brune (edited 08-31-99).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.