Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to spend much at all, but I want gaskets that won't fail in just a few years. What kinds should I use. (Complete Engine).

·
Registered
336 Posts
The Vortec Heads/intake require special gaskets from GM. The other gaskets are personal preference. I have heard and experienced good things with Fel pro gaskets

------------------
Frank W
Melrose MA
Gen X Member#22 (MA)
73 Malibu Coupe
hometown.aol.com/folingo/folingo.html
Mighty 305 Power

·
Registered
149 Posts
ROL protorque gaskets are dirt cheap and I've heard that they are an excellent gasket.
Keep in mind that a set of Fel-pro head gaskets can cost almost $40. I got a complete ROL set a couple weeks ago at a show/swap for $20 and haven't used them yet so I can't say how good they are.

------------------
Mike
formerly known as gotapileof70Malibu
'70 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible
North Vernon, IN

[This message has been edited by RagTop70 (edited 09-27-99).]

·
Registered
42 Posts
The only gasket sets I'll buy anymore are Fel-Pro. I've got the cheaper gaskets before and have never been happy with them.

------------------
Lynn Robinson
Pacheco, Calif.
64 Malibu SS, 71 Camaro SS
"Just Hit the Ball and Touch em All"
Team Chevelle Member #246

·
Registered
622 Posts
In gaskets as with most things, you get what you pay for. Before going too cheap, just imagine how easy or difficult replacing a particular gasket would be .Picture yourself Sunday night on a dark road 200 miles fron home with a blown - - - - (whatever) gasket. NOT a pretty picture. Take it from one who has been there, expensive gaskets are cheap in the long run.

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !In Durham N.C.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have rebuilt a few motors (small and big-block) and I either try to use GM or Fel-Pro gaskets. If price is a big issue or something, another quility gasket is make by a company called Detroit Gasket.

------------------
66 Big-Block Chevelle Houston, TX ACES#3321

·
Gold Founding Member
1970 Chevelle Convertible & 1965 Chevelle SS Convertible
1,284 Posts
In all my rebuilds I used fel pro - a little more on cost but the insurance is well worth it, never a problem. The orig GM gaskets are also very good but having the choice I still prefer fel pro.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I didn't decide to buy ROL because they were cheap. I read several car magazines monthly and ROL has repeatedly been given extremely good ratings. I just happen to see them all the time for $20 a set. If they're an excellent gasket and they're a bargain, how can you go wrong? If anyone knows them to be junk, that's a horse of a different color, and I wouldn't give $2 for 'em unless I was stranded 200 miles from home with no alternative.

------------------
Mike
formerly known as gotapileof70Malibu
'70 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible
North Vernon, IN

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.