Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At long last, my 65 malibu will be driving this summer. I intend to take in a few shows although I have never gone to many in the past with my other cars.
When I have gone to car shows, I really like the owners who display more than just the car. Some have signs that describe the car and history. I have seen model plastic cars being put on the air cleaner.
What do you guys display other than your cars at a show? Pics would be real nice to give me an idea of what I could do to make the observers experience more interesting. Any and all ideas welcome. thanks

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
It depends on the show. Some shows, like AACA don't allow anything in the was of displays. Most bigger shows, I display the window sticker which shows options and what everything cost in 1968. I also have a display sign, and pictures of the step by step reatoration. Then the mirrors come out sometimes so people don't have to bend over to look under the car. All these things help to show the folks who are interested, what their looking at, and how it got that way, from a piece of junk headed for the crusher.

·
Registered
162 Posts
if you have some cool history (paperwork ,ect ) and some pics of your build up , thats always fun to look at . As far as little cars on the air cleaner , drive in window trays , stuff like that , i just dont really care for that . as far as im concerned let the car speak for its self , now thats just my opinion and im sure lots of people think differently but i go to a car show to look at cars(hope i dont offend anyone)

Brian
66 malibu
55 chevy truck

oh ,and by the way whatever you do DO NOT put one of those little crying kids leaning on your bumper , those things freak me out

·
Premium Member
16,878 Posts
I used to keep a photo album of the resto in the trunk for anyone to look at that felt inclined too. That is until the pages got destroyed. I generally don't put anything out.
Now when the Charger is done, I may have one of those show boards made up and put some general info on it so I don't get bombarded with dumb questions because of what the car is going to represent.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I will display my photos of the resto process. I have a pretty good history of that. I guess I can just put them in a binder or something like that. I appreciate all your opinions.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
I only display my car three or four times a year is all. Always have the small "showboard" displayed which provides a little information (I personally do not like showboards that have an "overkill" of information - people just won't take the time to read it).

The very odd time the car is displayed indoors (no wind) I have a three ring binder on a music stand with a bunch of history, previous owners, magazine articles, numbers, codes, etc. Otherwise that binder is in the trunk should anybody be interested.

·
Banned
1,435 Posts
Yeah, I really like when people put out restoration pics or documentation or history. And I like talking to people about the ups and downs of their projects.
What I absolutely vomit at is when people put out the little trinkets like model cars, stuffed animals, route 66 doo-dads or the absolute worst......the tiger tails sticking out of the trunks on GTO's. Most of these people are the same people that just sit in their lawn chair, only getting up to repeatedly dust their car the entire show. I never understand how they don't realize the gayness of their decorations.
Mike

·
Registered
13,363 Posts
NOTHING except a sign on an easel about 2x2ft which gives basic info about the car.
I know a lot of people like to put out all kinds of "stuff" ranging from a few photos to an 18-wheeler load of trophies (which the car never won!), teddy bears, lizzards, monkeys, etc, etc, etc.
To me, personally, MOST (but not all) of that stuff detracts from the car. I go to see the cars, not all that superflurous "stuff" (and some is pure crap). I just never understand why someone wants a stuffed childs monkey on top of their air cleaner?????????????? :confused:

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
I have only done 8 shows so far. I like to display pictures of the restoration. Also made a showboard,and yes I have an exact diecast of my car on the aircleaner. Almost every car at the shows has fuzzy dice. Not me I have a sword I place in the back window. My baby has done pretty well. A number of first in class. On this day I won "Best In Show"!

·
Premium Member
Central Iowa
2,151 Posts
I have only done 8 shows so far. I like to display pictures of the restoration. Also made a showboard,and yes I have an exact diecast of my car on the aircleaner. Almost every car at the shows has fuzzy dice. Not me I have a sword I place in the back window. My baby has done pretty well. A number of first in class. On this day I won "Best In Show"!
Just dont park next to a Red on Red Impala... as they are hard to beat. Been there done that!

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
I never really understood the whole crying baby thing. Has nothing to do with cars. Never really understood the whole model car thing either. The real car is right there in front of you, why look at it in miniature?

I personally like looking at resto pics through the owners process. Especially love the before pics. A showboard with relevant info about the car is nice too. If it has a copy of buildsheet and other docs, I like looking at those things also.

I have none of these for my 66SS as of yet, then again its still a work in progress and yes I have been taking pics along the way. Some did not turn out during some of the body work process and I never had the film developed until after all that work had been done, found out the roll of film inside the camera never "unrolled" for each picture and basically remained inside the camera just as it would right out of the package. So the pics never actually got taken and it was too late, bodywork and paint was completed.:(

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Chris-had the same thing happen on my engine build.

I display my fat butt on a chair with a cooler nearby.

As for the stuffed stuff. The only acceptable thing to do with them is to have a TAZ holding a crybaby over his head. Even then you better have the head ripped off or something.

·
Gold Founding Member
64,431 Posts
Mirrors and signs showing the cars info are nice and I especially like the before, during and after picture albums.

I just don't get the reason for the stuffed dolls and toy rats etc.
Actually I personally feel like those silly things take away from the enjoyment of the car but oh well, "different strokes for different folks" I guess.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Resto pics, fire extinguisher, first aid kit and a "Look but Please don't touch" magnet. The latter was necessitated after some kids wanted to make silly faces in the dust that had accumulated on the car so I have become one of those obnoxious people who dust their car every hour or so.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
bugs on the windshield, rubber stuck to the quarters, and sand in the floor mats. :waving:
What he said. :thumbsup:

The car is the display. All the extra stuff is just, well, unnecessary stuff.
Besides, the show is just another opportunity to enjoy getting out and driving your car.

·
Premium Member
Central Iowa
2,151 Posts
We have a Hearst with flames...casket with bones and all and a whole lot more. I have seen it in Ia or should I say our state many times.
It is hard to even look at when walking by it!
I like to think of fun while living not about the dead when I am trying to enjoy being alive.
These shows that I see this rig at are not during the holloween season either , or I guess I could understand.
Anybody else seen that rig in Ia?

·
Premium Member
7,454 Posts
Like Bill Rose said.. I show my car with Show Sign in front, Some of the Docs. in the trunk ( copies ) and the window sticker is always in place, Mirrors for those who want to see the detail below, resto album is also there for those who like to see the Before shots.

But, sometimes, depending on the show, it's just the car, and nothing else.. it has to speak for itself!

Not a big fan of the corny stuff like plastic models.. but if she is real HOT and has some plastic.. I'm okay with that :yes:

Mike

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
a hot babe draped over the hood....or, better yet, washing, waxing and hand polishing. ...lol, i'm just kidding. :waving:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts