Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this 1970 Chevelle from a consignment dealer and it is a SS 'Tribute'. The decals say it's a 454 CID with 360 HP with the 454 badging under the SS on the panels. LS5? But, so far I can't really figure out what it is and it makes it tough to find where things are located, the real history behind the engine, and lots of other things to help improve wiring and performance.

Most importantly, I can't find the engine ID code. I found a code on the machined pad under the alternator but the code doesn't make any sense - C83321246, at least not from what I've read about Chevelle engine ID codes. Only has 17k miles on it so obviously fairly new engine.

I can't figure out where the oil pressure sensor switch is, what kind of oil to put in it, where other gauge wiring goes, etc. And, I would just like to know what it really is.

I contacted the dealer to put me in touch with those that restored it but they haven't responded, don't think that will help.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks, Ben.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,728 Posts
There's casting #'s on the top drv side rear behind the head those #'s will tell you what the engine basically is, on the other side in the rear will tell you year code, front left right below the head will be the partial vin that can tell you if it's orig. to your car or what it came from, #'s under the valve covers that are cast into the heads can tell what type head, year, I'm an amateur but this info should you, rick.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
I think you need to keep digging to find out who the previous owner was and who did the work on the car. If you get some casting numbers off the block and heads it will help narrow down what the engine might be but it won't tell you what internals are in the engine so finding the previous owner would be a real help.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the diagram and your help.

And, voila, there is a number there at the 'c' location, just couldn't see because it was painted over.

It's T0602TRH but I still can't find out what it is. Can you help or point me in right direction to decipher it?

Ben.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmmm. OK, so it's a truck engine?! It has a manual transmission (Muncie) but the instrument panel shows automatic 'PRNDL' on speedometer/odometer gauge. The T.H. 400 is an automatic correct?

Is there a way to determine which of the three you have listed is the one I have?

Getting even more confused. I'm guessing during the restoration process they may have swapped out the engine for the truck one and maybe installed a manual transmission. But in any case, it's not a LS5 Chevelle engine, correct? The only thing right I see is it does have a 4bbl carb. The dash could also have been swapped out but the back of it seems correct...it's really old.

If all of this is correct, did they mis-represent this car?

Thanks again for your help.

Ben.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you know where to find the casting date?

It has 454cid/360 hp stickers and logos in several places and that's what it was advertised as on their site. No wonder the restorer doesn't want to contact me.

Also, even though this is a consignment dealership, don't they have some responsibility to advertise it correctly?

·
Gold Founding Member
64,090 Posts
I believe on that motor, the casting date is on the very back of the motor, on top and a little toward the passenger's side.

The dealer can only repeat what he was told as they don't bother to confirm and most likely wouldn't know how anyway.

The T0602 is for Tonawanda June 2nd.
Stickers really mean nothing since they could stick anything on.

·
Premium Member
7,053 Posts
To answer this question one would need to know what is your interpretation of a 'Tribute'?

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
From what I've seen, a "tribute" car can be just about anything.

As for the engine that is presently in the car, it could be a 454 built to LS-5 specifications. Or being a "truck" engine, it could still have the "peanut port" heads on it. The numbers will tell.

When one chooses to buy a "tribute" car, unless the seller has stated (or written) otherwise, what one gets is what one gets. I'm not being critical, but unlike a factory original car, a tribute is assembled to the builder's specs, not the factory's.

Good luck with your search for numbers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea, that's what I was thinking, their out for anything could be that it's a 'tribute'. It's just a tribute to the car, not the car itself.

Thanks for all the help, all of you have helped me a lot, I appreciate it.

I'd still like to nail down exactly which engine it is because I need to know for buying parts, oil filters, etc. or maybe they are so closely alike it won't make a difference. On a good note, from the VIN, it is definitely a 1970 Chevelle as some of it's history showed up in the DMV.

Ugh, just pisses me off because all the propaganda that went with this car is very misleading. Going to give dealership a piece of my mind...and I'm sure that will REALLY make a difference, LOL. And, when all is said and done, caveat emptor.

Thanks again, at least I'm learning what I have.

Ben.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
I think it is really important that buyers do their research "Before" they make a purchase. The place where you bought the car will have the name of the person that owned the car before you. I would drive to the dealership and get the name and find out what you can about the car. Good luck.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hmmmm. OK, so it's a truck engine?! It has a manual transmission (Muncie) but the instrument panel shows automatic 'PRNDL' on speedometer/odometer gauge. The T.H. 400 is an automatic correct?

Is there a way to determine which of the three you have listed is the one I have?

Getting even more confused. I'm guessing during the restoration process they may have swapped out the engine for the truck one and maybe installed a manual transmission. But in any case, it's not a LS5 Chevelle engine, correct? The only thing right I see is it does have a 4bbl carb. The dash could also have been swapped out but the back of it seems correct...it's really old.

Thanks again for your help.

Ben.
PRNDL indicates a Powerglide, T350 and T400 displayed PRND L2 L1 on the cluster.

Many tributes have air cleaner decals indicating an Engine that could have been correct for an SS.

Rear should be a 12 bolt, many tributers skimp on this and leave the 8.2'', 10 bolt.

1970 454 should have a non EGR, low rise cast iron intake with a matching Q jet.

If possible post some pics!!

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think it is really important that buyers do their research "Before" they make a purchase. The place where you bought the car will have the name of the person that owned the car before you. I would drive to the dealership and get the name and find out what you can about the car. Good luck.

Agree, but it's in Texas and I'm in Hawaii. I bought it sight unseen. Good lesson for me. But, I still love the car and am just trying to find out everything I can about it. Dealership will not give me owner's name, a privacy clause with consignment contract, I guess.

Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
PRNDL indicates a Powerglide, T350 and T400 displayed PRND L2 L1 on the cluster.

Many tributes have air cleaner decals indicating an Engine that could have been correct for an SS.

Rear should be a 12 bolt, many tributers skimp on this and leave the 8.2'', 10 bolt.

1970 454 should have a non EGR, low rise cast iron intake with a matching Q jet.

If possible post some pics!!

Thanks
Randy
Yep, on tribute decals, now I know. And it is a 12 bolt rear end. Since I now know it's not a 1970 454 I can move on. Pics attached, I think.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts