Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I can not tell you what it means but, my guess is that LS6 is the option number that was checked off when the chevelle was ordered by dealers and/or customers. The camaro Z28 for instance. The Z28 was the option code for the car. If you look in the camaro assembly manual the upc code Z28 is listed along with the equipment for that option. It is not detailed and you can chase other numbers to see what they mean. I hope this helps you out. I once heard or read that option codes where not just pulled out of the dark and do have some meaning. I cant recall what the supposed meaning for Z28 was.

------------------
CRUISER

·
Registered
54 Posts
Joe Harrison is on the right track.
They are (the option codes)"grouped" for instance glass related option codes are in the "A"
AO1= window, tinted, all shaded
A31= window, pwr operated, side
Other options codes are in the "A" also, for eg;
AR9= seat frt bkt style pass driver recl
Going into the F section gives you some suspension options eg;
F41= suspension system, frt, rr, firm ride,handling
Keep in mind that I'm naming off the Chevrolet option codes, and that other divisions like Oldsmobile had a "F3" code on this option.
I seems the L section is for engine options,
eg;
L69= engine, gas, 8cyl, 5.0L 4bbl HO (1986)
L48= engine,350 4bbl (1971)
heres a Buick eg;
LC2= 3.8L SFI turbo with intercooler
Into the "Z's" it appears that they are designated for "packages", eg;
Z65= package, Monte Carlo SS (1983-88)
The famous "Z16" for the '65 Malibu SS 396.
Z22= rally sport package (on first generation Camaro,hide-away head lights etc.)
As for the Z28 it was merely the next available option code after Z27.(Remember that Chevrolet built this special Camaro to compete in the Trans Am series, with the 305 cubic inch limit, and didn't really have a name for it, to make a short story out of this, Z28 stuck to it)
Z28= special performance equipment
The Z28 package consisted of 302 c.i. engine,
dual exhaust, special front & rear suspension, heavy duty radiatior & temperature controlled fan, quick-ratio steering, 15x6 inch wheels, E70x15 tires, 3.73 axle ratio, & special hood & deck stripes. (There were 2 mandatory options; a 4 speed tranny & power assisted front brakes)
Going back to the L series, specific to the LS6, from some road tests on the 70 LS6 I've
gathered, you first placed an order for a Malibu V8, on top of that the SS454 option
(Z15 option, LS5 360hp, at $503) and on top of that the LS6 option, 450hp engine which was another $263. In closing I don't think there's any
mystery meaning to these codes, it's over the years where, magazines, hang outs where you and me shoot the breeze, where these codes get thrown around and "bench raced" and they just have a nice sound to them, "hey my buddy ran an LS6... "he's running an LT1... "don't run him it's got an L88... "this thing has an LS1 pumping 320 hp!...

cool eh!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Last one Standing

·
Registered
37 Posts
lypo suction if your to close when one goes by.

·
Registered
622 Posts
"Lucky ****" - the owner that is

------------------

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.