Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what it would take to do a complete swap from idiot lights and stock dash to an SS dash with guages for a seventy-two malibu. I can figure out the the heater and all that but i need help in areas specific to the guage swap and dash harness swap etc. thanks.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Not sure how much information you need. You will need another dash harness to replace the idiot light harness.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
This is for 72.

You will need an SS dash. You can buy reproduction, around $300.00, or you can watch e-bay for a Monte Carlo dash, 72’s are the easiest to find, $100.00 to $150.00.

You will need a 71/72 SS or Monte Carlo Tach cluster, typically around $400.00. You can get a light cluster and buy a reproduction tach kit, $350.00. If you get an original tach cluster you take the chance that the tach, gauges or printed circuit card are bad. The nice thing about the reproduction is that you get new gauges, tach and circuit card, I think the tach is more accurate than factory original. There are two speedos available, one with the auto trans shift indicator (easiest to find) or the floor shift, no shift indicator (more money). The plastic gauge housing is easily broken, before you buy make sure there are no missing mounting tabs or breaks in it, also check the condition of the lens reproduction lenses are around $100.00.

You will need the wiring harnesses. The dash harness is available reproduction, around $400.00. You can watch e-bay for an SS/ Monte Carlo light cluster dash harness ($40.00 - $50.00) it can be modified to work for the gauge dash, wires added for amp gauge and tach and move wires in the cluster connector. There may be kits that will convert your sweep dash harness for use with the tach dash. In addition to the dash harness you will need the engine harness, about $100.00 reproduction. The engine harness also has wiring for the AMP gauge and tach. You can add these wires to your harness, however the engine harness is usually in the worst condition of all the harnesses because it’s on the engine the oil and heat tend to attack the insulation, replace it if you can afford it.

You will need a coolant temp sender, available at your local GM parts store.

You will likely spend around $600.00. You may find what you need in local wrecking yards or swap meets for less. I found a 71 Monte Carlo dash, light cluster and dash harness for $40.00 in a wrecking yard in Podunk AZ.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts