Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been getting some pretty crappy gas mileage even with my 2.73 gears and little 307. so i think it's time to rebuild my carb. how should i go about this and how long does it take? i have the origional rochestor 2 barrel carb too. don't want to have my car out of service for too long, its my daily driver.

[This message has been edited by elkyD68 (edited 10-25-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Once you get the parts and so long as there is no major damage it should take you a weekend at the very most. I rebuilt my 2bbl Rochester in an evening. Putting it back on, however...That took a week due to broken carb studs which lead to broken easy outs.
Took me a week to get the correct rebuild kit, too.

So I guess I'd plan for 2 weeks.

Tim.

------------------
Proud Owner: '69 Chevelle
Malibu: 350, PG, 3.36 open dif.

"ALL YOUR RICE ARE BELONG TO US!"

http://www.wyatts-torch.com/~dienadel/chevelle/index.html

[This message has been edited by TronDD (edited 10-25-2001).]

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. is it pretty staight forward to do? i know my uncle can do them in like an hour, but he's 3000 miles away. is there a site or something that gives some detail on it?

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
I haven't found a site about it.

Rebuilding my carb was the first mechanical type thing I did to my car. It's real easy once you get going. Don't let all the parts in the rebuild kit fool you...most of them aren't even used (they aren't used right?? I sure didn't use a lot of them
). I also didn't rebuild my choke so that accounted for some parts. But anyway...it's easy and straight forward. Just take it all apart, clean it, put it back together with the new parts.

------------------
Proud Owner: '69 Chevelle
Malibu: 350, PG, 3.36 open dif.

"ALL YOUR RICE ARE BELONG TO US!"

http://www.wyatts-torch.com/~dienadel/chevelle/index.html

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the quick replies tron. i may give it a shot over thanksgiving or someother long weekend.

derek

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
A couple of tips for rebuilding a carb. If there is any way you can do so by all means look around your town and see if you can't find a tune shop that does carb overhauls and see if they won't dip your carb in their acid tank for a couple of hours. That is the ONLY way that you will get the built up varnish and crud out of all those tiny air bleeds and emulsifier tubes in your carb. Of course
you must tear down the carb first and be very careful not to lose any parts. Take it to him in a secure container. I suspect a ten spot in the bosses hand and a friendly attitude would
get your carb the time it needs in his cleaner . When that is done a hot water bath and a blow dry and your carb will be ready for assembly.(I am serious about the bath. Those kinds of carb cleaners are water soluable. They rinse right off.) You might also ask your parts house if they know of anyone who will help you out. Be patient reassembling the carb and follow the directions that come with the kit. Good luck

------------------
1970 SS454 LS6 Chevelle, Damn! why did I sell that car?

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
A two barrel carb would be pretty cheap at an auto wrecker I would think. I would get one and rebuilt it. If you screwed up, you could always put your old one back on. If it worked, you could rebuild the original now that you are experienced!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Derek, I have the tools, the experience, and the carb cleaning machine. Call when you get the carb kit. Turn off the afterburners before you come over, I don't want a forest fire over here!

------------------
Never be afraid to try something new.
An amatuer built the Ark,
Professionals built the Titanic.
Team Chevelle Gold #33
ACES Member #02913
Rode shotgun in the ONLY Z16 convertible made.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.