Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys the wires that I have on my car now are old and are getting burned by the headers. What do ou guys use to protect your wires from burning? Or is there a certain type of wire that won't burn? Also what is a good wire to use?
thanks
Tom
BTW i do have wire looms, but the wires still hit the headers.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
are they touching?? if so then either get straight boots/135* or what ever so they don't touch, also looms help keep em out of the way, i had to get 135* boot plug wires cuz all of mine were touching the flanges, but only 1 burnt (ceramic coated headers are a MUST)

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site
(oo|ss|oo)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Use a good quality wire, when it comes to heat, the thicker the insulation and boot the better. I use MSD super conductor 8.5mm.

To protect the boots from the headers I use boot insulators. They look like tin-foil and are about 6 inches long. They are a fiberglass mesh with an alluminum coating that you slip over the boots. They work great but the boot/wire can't be touching the header. There are several brands avaialable in Jegs or Summit. Some are very expensive, but I used cheap ones from Summit and they work well. But if they are up against the headers they will burn through. The one I use are "DEI" aluminized Plug Wire Sheath part #010409. They are sold in packs of 4.

------------------
Rob Mirabile TC #1079, ACES #4387
"If You Don't Drive It-Sell It"

The Ride
The Crew
Showing Off
The Lemans

67 Malibu Conv (always under construction)
64 Lemans Conv, Building for my brother-in-law

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
What engine do you have? If it is a small block you will need 90 degree boots, if you have a big block you will need 135 degree boots. Try short plugs if they are available for your engine. Use a good name brand wire such as MSD Taylor, Jacobs etc. Usually you can get away with putting a protective boot on a couple of plug wires this should save you some money since some of the manufacturers sell them by the pair.

Steve R.

·
Super Moderator
13,306 Posts
Tom,
NOTHING will protect the wires if they are actually hitting the headers. The only thing you can do is get a set of un-terminated wires, a bunch of seperators/looms and go at it. I have yet to see a motor/header combination that I could not manage to make a set of wires that would work without hitting the headers. It takes some work, but is worth it in the long run. There are some plug wire coverings that will help, but not solve the problem.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
57 Posts
For my part, I wrapped the headers with the insulator wrap, AND used plug boots. The wrap on the header insulates much better than any coating, and helps to move the heat out of the engine compartment. It works great!

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
'70Chevy, I'm not trying to get on your case, but header wrap will actually accelerate the decay of your headers. There are guys on this board that have used header wrap and actually melted and warped headers!

------------------
Dan Orgill

·
Banned
269 Posts
As BillK said nothing will help if your boots are touching your headers and his advice is right on.

As others have said it's a combination of the proper lenght wire, correct boot with the correct wire looms. In some cases you may have to dimple the header tube(s).

I too never recommend header wrap for the reasons listed and the Jacobs Ceramic boot wires are for the most part a gimmick and not needed at all if the above recommendations are followed.

------------------
racer's '68

[email protected] n/a
1.41 60 foot (new best)
3900 lbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.