Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little advice on what you need to freshen up your seat belt color. I have black belts that are faded and would like to darken back up. What do I use to do that and whats the best way to do it??? Thanks for help..

------------------
Shannon Vanover
TC #1414
ACES #5008
1969 SS396/350 4spd
1969 SS396/325 Red/Red
1983 MONTE CARLO SS BLUE
2002 HD FATBOY RED/DIAMOND ICE

·
Registered
46 Posts
I used rit dye from your local walmart.mix the dye up in hot water and either paint or dip the belts in for a couple of minutes and then after letting them cool rinse with cold water until clear to remove any excess dye residue.be careful if you dip them because it will also color the date tags if there are any,so if that is a concern you might want to just paint it on.this is the way i did mine and they looked great.o bye the way be sure to wash the belts first to get them as clean as you can berore you dye.hope this helped?

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
I have used the RIT dye successfully. It seems to fade after a few years. As far as the date tags, mine seemed to resist the dye (don't know why, though) and they still look white.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Somebody suggested the black liquid shoe polish. I used it on my belts and they looked great. There was no bleed off onto my clothes either. Just be sure to wipe the excess off several times with and old t-shirt or rag.

------------------
Brian TC#1092, ACES#4374
---------------------------------------------------------
1965 El Camino Before Restoration (My Hotrod)
1981 Corvette (Daily Driver)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have also used black, liquid leather shoe dye (Kiwi). I first soaked the seat belts in Woolite and cleaned with soft bristle brush and soaked some more, let mine soak overnight. I rinsed them out several times with clean cool water and let dry completely. I then used the swab in the liquid leather shoe dye to refinish the belts. They dried fairly quick and then I wiped off an insignificant amount of residue. I was careful not to saturate the belts with dye, although some areas or belts needed a "second" coat. I am pleased with the results.

·
Super Moderator
15,881 Posts
ATTENTION! Just be sure if you wash them that you wash them in a mild soap. As mentioned above, Woolite would be a good choice. Some kinds of harsh cleaners (avoid bleach or bleach substitutes at all costs) can weaken the webbing cloth and you don't want to do that!

Also, rinse the dickens out of them if you do wash them. They should end up soft and pliable when you are done.

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
I use the $1.99 kiwi shoe polish. It works great, and doesn't rub off IF you wash the belts first. The shoe polish also makes the black plastic buckles LIKE BRAND NEW.

To wash the belts, stick them in the dishwasher, no soap. Seriously.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just cleaned and installed the belts for my '69 the other day. I've got the deluxe belts and the webbing seemed pretty dirty and what I thought was faded. I used "Westleys Bleech White", the spray on stuff for cleaning white walls. I tested it first on the bottom of the belt. WOW, what a difference it made. The belts had been out of the car for about 5 years, lots of mold and dirt was on the webbing. I scrubbed them with a brush, rinsed real good - now they look and feel just like they were new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts