Team Chevelle banner

what do you think of this cam for a street cruiser

1743 15
I am putting together a 327 with 291/202-160 valve heads with 10-1 flat tops. Holley sniper and hyperspark and a weiand speed warrior intake and dougs 1 5/8 heqders and 2.5 exhaust
I am running a turbo 200 with 2200 stall. will also be changing to 355 gears

Looking at this isky hydraulic roller. Total street car that I plan on adding AC. I think it looks pretty good for what I am planning just would like some more input.

• Hyd. Roller
  • Valve Lift Int/Ext. 0.485/0.505
  • Valve Lash Hot Int/Ext. 0.000
  • ADV Duration Int/Ext. 265/272
  • 0.050 Duration Int/Ext. 217/225
  • Lobe Center 112
Reactions: pockets
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,365 Posts
Agreed, specs sound great for a street 327. It should have a decent idle and make good mid-range power.

·
Registered
853 Posts
It won't be 10:1 compression with a flat top, not in a 327....barely 9.5:1, and that is if you either use a thin steel shim head gasket on an undecked block, or a thicker composition gasket and have the zero decked block.
You'd have to mill the heads 4cc to get up to 10:1 with a flat top.

Put the common available "rebuilders" 4 valve relief flat top in there, don't deck the block, and use the common Fel-Pro thick composition head gasket and it won't even be 9.0:1

I don't know why people keep believing a flat top and 64cc heads gets you 10:1 comp on a 327, .....it barely does with the longer stroke 350 and definitely doesn't with the shorter stroke 327 or 283.

Math don't lie....

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It won't be 10:1 compression with a flat top, not in a 327....barely 9.5:1, and that is if you either use a thin steel shim head gasket on an undecked block, or a thicker composition gasket and have the zero decked block.
You'd have to mill the heads 4cc to get up to 10:1 with a flat top.

Put the common available "rebuilders" 4 valve relief flat top in there, don't deck the block, and use the common Fel-Pro thick composition head gasket and it won't even be 9.0:1

I don't know why people keep believing a flat top and 64cc heads gets you 10:1 comp on a 327, .....it barely does with the longer stroke 350 and definitely doesn't with the shorter stroke 327 or 283.

Math don't lie....
I will be using icon ic792 2 valve relief pistons. It will be at 10-1 with 62cc chambers. yes the heads were milled a little and I am zero decked. will be using .039 head gasket for a good quench

your right, math don't lie

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
It seems whenever this question is asked, the OP has a cam that is too large in mind.
Not here. That's a great cam choice for a 327.

On a somewhat different note, I've always wanted to use a factory L79 cam in a 327 or a 350.....but I get why the OP wants to go Roller.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems whenever this question is asked, the OP has a cam that is too large in mind.
Not here. That's a great cam choice for a 327.

On a somewhat different note, I've always wanted to use a factory L79 cam in a 327 or a 350.....but I get why the OP wants to go Roller.
Thank you, I just don't want to under cam it either.

I have built a lot of these motors over the years and have fallen into the too big category multiple times. Now that I am much older, I sat down and really thought about this car and what I wanted to do with it. Which is just a strong motor than I can jump in and make the 280 mile trip to vegas if I want and not get blown away by a prius light to light...LOL
I too wanted an "l79" cam or the "30-30" cam in a 327. And I have run those before. But a little smoother hydraulic roller was and is so much more appealing, especially with the "free" horsepower of a full roller valve train.
I am hoping I get in the neighborhood of 375hp. Which is more than enough for this car, especially when I have a 750hp big block car sitting right next.:cool:

and in the end, in exactly 2 years, it will be given to my youngest son as his college graduation present.... maybe

·
Premium Member
13,485 Posts
If your down on compression, cut the cam on a tigher lsa. Like a 108.

Perhaps run 1.6 on the intake for a .515 lift.

·
Registered
13,955 Posts
Reads spec wise somewhat similar to the GM Hotcam used in the LTx series of F bodies and vettes. Im no expert, just a backyard hack so keep it in mind.

For its size it pulls pretty hard in the midrange clear up to its limit...ramps arent crazy so parts last.
Youll be able to tell its cammed but not overly so. Just right.
I was impressed wtih a friends 96 CE Vette with that cam. Someone butchered and overported the heads, large tube shorty headers, basic 2.5 catback, i ported the intake. 4.10s
Think the tuners dyno was happy as he tunes real lean...said 392twhp....passes Ca smog..easy 12.,50s with 2.0 60. Idle all day in traffic with ac on....I was impressed as its not a big cam.
That is practically a full second quicker than my 1990 ZR-1 was, same gearing.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
12,779 Posts
IMO and Im No pro but with a 2200 stall conv and a cam with 108 lsa I had to use both feet to drive my 68, it was a low comp 454 in the 8.9-9.1 comp range with a 226/226 dur and Hughes Street Rod conv so IMHO either stick with a 112 lsa or change conv, I changed to a tight 3200 and love it, new engine has a 110 lsa 231/239 cam and it drives like a factory conv till you mash the gas and I have ac

·
Registered
403 Posts
I ran a 224/224 with a 108 lsa in my 327. It had a slight chop at idle (mostly when cold start) and did fine with a stock converter. It was maybe 8 to 1 comp and had junk smog heads on it. The flow of the cylinder heads is a factor and the reason I say that is that my friend had a 350 with a solid cam that almost sounded stock. All we did was swap the heads from factory over to some 200cc Dart. The engine sounded completely different. It now had a rough idle and needed more stall.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts